model ID help

Started by elcarlstono, December 06, 2018, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elcarlstono

Hi, I am looking at buying this reel but it's going to be a few weeks before I can see it in person. Any help with the model will be appreciated.  He said the plate with the model # is missing and can't find a model anywhere else.

George6308

The reel is a 706Z or a 704Z with 706 rotor.

elcarlstono

Thanks George.  Sorry for the elementary question but what's the difference between the Z and the no letter? This one look worth my time/effort?

George6308

When Penn went from the older green, blue, brown (blue & brown on 720's), metallic blue green (722's & 704's),to black with the exception of a few 710's & 712's painted black, they changed the emblem on the gear cover and painted them black renaming them "Z" series  Spinfisher. There are no part changes in the various models.
Some of the 706's have a ball bearing behind the main gear, some do not. I believe at one time Penn offered kits to change 704Z's to 706Z's. Handles on the 706 where the same as the 704 or the pancake handle with the round knob.
That 706 looks like it will clean up. Check if the handle knob rotates or if too loose. Open up side and check gears. The line roller also needs to be checked as they freeze up. Parts are available thru Mystic.

elcarlstono

Thanks again, George, I'll post back if i get it.

conchydong

Once cleaned and lubed that will make a great surf spinning reel.

Scott

oc1

George, is that a factory manual pick-up?  Does that make it more desirable?  Thanks.
-steve

George6308

The pick up is part of the 706's rotor. The rotor is slightly larger in diameter than the 704's and the line pick up is part of the rotor casting. The line pick up or roller with it's bearing is held by a screw to the rotor. The 706 spool is larger in diameter  than the 704's spool but either spool will fit a 706's rotor.
The manual pick for the 704 is added in lieu of the bail arm assembly.
As to desirably the 706 has been reported as being designed for the Montock surf crowd. Both reels along with the 700 are large heavy tanks for surf use. I stopped using both my 704's and switched to the smaller 712 as I fish mostly back bay water behind Wildwood NJ.

Shark Hunter

The Big Z Models are Tanks.
You can get one for around $100, but it is a gamble.
Personally, that one looks a little rough to me.
Life is Good!

elcarlstono

Thanks again, everyone.  I can get it pretty cheap so I probably will do it for the project. 

elcarlstono

And for the record I do mostly surf fishing in NC so this should do nicely.

elcarlstono

Finally picked this up today. Appears to be a 706z based on capacity label.  Needs a badge and the clicker spring is pretty mangled, but other than that it's well lubed and reels smoothly, as is drag.
Should the spool be black steel, or gold anodized? 
Obviously the rotor has significant paint loss. I may try to fix t

George6308

You have the older cast aluminum black spool. They were always black on the original "Z" and green on the first generation. The gold ones are the later issue and the click springs are different between the cast black spools and the gold anodized aluminum spools. The click springs on the later spools will not function on the older Z reels. See Mystic's web site for upgrading information if needed on the conversion of the click spring in the rear of the spool. (Information on the 704 parts listing)
Spools for the Penn 704 will also fit the 706 but hold less line. They have the same click changes.
Change out the older drag knob if you have to order any parts as the older ones like the one on your 706 are prone to cracking.
Nice buy.

handi2

You have a reel that some would say is the most durable reels  ever made. Some model 706 reels have 3 total bearings. Always one pinion bearing and the line roller bearing. Some of them have an extra bearing on the main gears shaft as it passes through the reel body. Those are the most desirable as a collector and user.

The line roller bearing is special in that the inner race of the bearing is longer than than the outer race. The longer inner race keeps the bearing from jamming up and not turning inside the roller.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

elcarlstono

Thanks for the info. This guy is ready to fish and I am psyched.
There is a slight wobble of the handle, buy in taking the handle off the main gear post turns perfectly so it looks as if the handle  wasn't tapped completely straight.