P220-F Poor Freespool

Started by fishmeluck, December 08, 2018, 08:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: richard on December 11, 2018, 10:55:04 PM
Should have made it clear i was talking about a reel in free spool ,as this was the OP's problem . Not sure what you mean by all over the place while floating in free spool ,my pinions float maybee a few thou along the spindle governed by the yolk in the pinion groove . Others have advised polishing inside the pinion gear as well as the spindle to get rid of any friction.I am suggesting that this friction could be caused by the yolk pushing the pinion slightly against the spindle. That was the case with my reel ,not sure if the yolk was bent slightly ,perhaps the pinion groove was not machined deep enough ,but a little filing of the yolk where it ran in the pinion groove gave me good free spool. Hope this helps .
Yup, that would help Richard, I have seen some brass Yokes arched., stainless steel hold up better.
Lets not rule out the Jack, it might also be the culprit in some cases.
On some reels I make adjustments to the tabs on the Jack, I do this on a press with a spacer, so both get lowered a the same time.
If I feel some roughness on the tip of the tabs, I will smooth them out as well and try that first.
I'm not sure if you're dealing with stock parts or custom, most reels will need some minor adjustment when using custom parts.

I usually do all things mentioned above and a couple of more to get it as I want it. SoCalAngler makes a good point, oeccessive oil will slow the reel down. I use Naphtha in a spay can to clean bushings or bearings and if I'm looking for good freespool I'll add just a drop of good quality oil. I use SpeedX, or TSI 321... also mentioned above

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

richard

I see you point about the jack. Truing it on a jig as well as the other adjustments you make comes under the heading of blueprinting, no ?
Well above my pay grade . One lives and learns on AT ,thanks for sharing
AM .

Alto Mare

No Richard, those are very minor adjustments that anyone could do. You did really good on yours and if the freespool feels better, I wouldn't keep touching other parts, I would stop it there.

Thanks for sharing what you have done, it will help many here, especially the new guys.

Best,   

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

Quote from: SoCalAngler on December 12, 2018, 05:13:55 AM
Yep, Richard expect to get shut down by some from the good old boys club. I think your input was valuable even if others don't.

Don't let this stop you, I have had many posts just disappear, especially when a "known member" questions them.

Good for you!!!

rest assured that this post will not disappear.  you have a pm. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

richard

Really appreciate the encouraging words.
This site has been ,and will continue to be, a mine of information that has further enhanced the pure enjoyment of fishing.
A pawn shop Penn ,rebuilt according to these threads ,gives pleasure out of all proportion to its cost when fished .
AT helped me and others to connect the dots ,thanks to all.
(Oh an happy Christmas)