New Shore-based Shark Fishing Regs in Florida

Started by sdlehr, December 13, 2018, 01:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

This came via email from my state licensing agency earlier today, and I think it's all quite reasonable:

Dec. 12, 2018
Media statement: FWC Commission shore-based shark fishing update

At its December meeting in St. Augustine, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) approved draft changes to shark fishing regulations, including management changes for the shore-based shark fishery. These changes will increase survival of released sharks, improve information gathering of the fishery and address some of the public safety concerns related to the fishery.

The draft rules will be brought back before the Commission for final approval in February and include:
•   Creating a mandatory, no-cost, annual shore-based shark fishing permit.
•   Prohibiting chumming when fishing for any species from the beach.
•   Prohibiting delaying the release of prohibited shark species when fishing from the shore.
•   Requiring that prohibited shark species remain in the water (when fishing from shore and from a vessel).
•   Requiring the use of non-offset, non-stainless-steel circle hooks with live or dead natural bait (when fishing from shore and from a vessel).
•   Requiring the possession/use of a device capable of quickly cutting the leader or hook (when fishing from shore or a vessel).
•   Cleaning up and updating the current rule language.
This email was sent to XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX using GovDelivery Communications Cloud on behalf of: Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission · 620 S. Meridian Street · Tallahassee, FL 32399-1600 · (850) 488-4676   

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

Rudy shot me an email earlier today about this.
I have no problem with it.
My main goal is to see him swimming away after the fight.
I know The FWC have been watching and fining anglers, especially on the piers, that are doing not so sportsman like conduct.
All my ducks are in a row. ;)
Life is Good!

sdlehr

When I first heard they were going to rewrite the regs on land-based shark fishing I thought that would be the end of an era. What they've done is actually an improvement, not at all what I was expecting.
Sid Lehr

xjchad

That is all very reasonable and in fact very good for both anglers and sharks.
I fear that we have changes coming our way on the west coast next year that will not be so reasonable...
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Swami805

It could change here in CA due to all the hoopla about a few knuckleheads catching juvenile white sharks off the piers posting on social media and a few that were picked up by the news media. Then the very vocal wingnuts come out of the woodwork to stir the pot. Hopefully if they do change something it will be something that will be helpful and not some kind of draconian measures that closes fishing.
Sounds like Florida is on the right track not sure of what the idea is behind having to get a permit. Is the permit just for shark fishing or just shore fishing in general?  Here you need a license to shore fish unless you're fishing off a pier or other structure. Is Florida different? 
Do what you can with that you have where you are

xjchad

Sheridan,
The permit is additional too the regular fishing license.  It is a way to keep track of how many and who are targeting sharks, and weed out the serious anglers from the knuckleheads.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Dominick

Mandatory no-cost today...  The future???  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Swami805

I guess that makes some sense just always a little suspicious of any kind of new permit
Do what you can with that you have where you are

sdlehr

Quote from: Swami805 on December 13, 2018, 05:07:51 PM
Sounds like Florida is on the right track not sure of what the idea is behind having to get a permit. Is the permit just for shark fishing or just shore fishing in general?  Here you need a license to shore fish unless you're fishing off a pier or other structure. Is Florida different? 
Florida has freshwater license, saltwater license, snook permit, lobster permit and maybe some other additional categories. Everyone fishing in public waters needs a license unless fishing on a public peer, in which case the pier assumes responsibility and presumably pays fees. I'm not sure if a license is required for fishing on private property, there are zillions of little ponds all over the place on private properties and properties owned by homeowners associations. I always carry my license with me but have never had to produce it while fishing on private property. One cannot legally fish from the beach without a saltwater fishing license, but how they will enforce the shark permit is a big question in my mind. Perhaps that is why they want to start them free in hopes that all shark fishermen will get on board early and identify themselves.
Sid Lehr

RowdyW

You don't need a shark permit if you are fishing for Tarpon. Who says you can't use a 16/0 hook & a 4 lb hunk of bait for Tarpon.  ;D ;D         Rudy