What reel?

Started by REEL STEEL, December 14, 2018, 08:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REEL STEEL

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes. I am looking for a star drag reel to use for rockfish and salmon. I have been pretty much an Avet guy but some of my newer folks on the boat would do better with something simpler to operate than a lever drag. These reels will get used over 100 times a year and have to be durable. I am using the newer Avet MX and they have been OK. They are the perfect size reel. I use 65# spectra line with a 30 or 40# topshot.

alantani

the penn squall.  https://www.ebay.com/p/Penn-Squall-Level-Wind-Reel-SQL20LW/691362547?iid=311616364990

i have the penn 320 gt2's.  if you could find a set, i would actually go with those, but i would want to go through them first.  otherwise, the squall would be the reel i would recommend.  to start, i would hose them down with aerosol corrosion x, then compressed air to blow out all the excess, wipe them down, spool them up and go fish.  repeat the process every month and they should be good.  they will corrode badly if left out in the elements all season. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

What Alan said!  The 320's are great reels, with a level wind no hassles with laying the Line down on the spool.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

Lots a charter captains use Long Beach 60's and 65's. There's alot of 'em out there for sale, which also means alota parts availability. Simple to use and to trouble-shoot. Not a big loss if they get sent down to Davy Jones Locker.

For newbies the 320's with a levelwinder like Bill n' Allen'er sayin would be the ticket.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MarkT

The Shimano Tekotas are good rockfishing levelwinds too.  I use a Shimano Calcutta for shallow water and an Avet MXJ for deeper.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

REEL STEEL