my first ever rod built from the blank, Superman themed rod by Steelfish

Started by steelfish, December 17, 2018, 08:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I finally finally decided to make the jump and go for a complete build of a fishing rod from the blank, as many of you already know I've been restored and rewrapped many rods so, far so, basic wraping & epoxy job is under control, but restoring rods for my friends and co-woerkers didnt gave me time to go for a complete build until now, since its the 1st one I made from a blank and I had to make many questions related to reel seat glue, how to attach/glue grips, etc I wanted to experiment with a rod for my personal use, I could live with any mistakes on the build but Im really anal when doing a job for someone else.
good thing is that I think I have nothing to worry on this build, I really liked how to rod turned out on any detail, I used only Batson components as slickbutt, XHN guides, centra lock reel seat with window, aluminium gimbal, EPDM foregrip.
the blank is a Seeker CTSF-60XXH 6ft  60-130 tuna rod

this will become my go-to rod for use it mostly on Gonzaga Bay Area on Baja north fishing for groupers and YT, it might be overkill for this zone but you never  know when I big gulf grouper or shark might bite your offering and its perfect size for Panga use and it has a nice flex on the tip, no need to monster fish to put a nice bend on this rod, I will take it to BOLA and Loreto next year (I hope), anyway, you need to excuse the tons of pics but I feel proud on how the fishing rod ended up and want to show you most of the details, now I want to sell all my factory build rods and make me an arsenal of custom rods from spotty bay bass to sharks.
this one has a experimental "kind-of" dragon scale spiral in the 1st and 2d guide cosmetic wrap and normal dragon scales on the rest of the guides.

many thanks to the guys that had helped me so far like Sheridan, Dwight, Joe and others with your generosity, tips and help on the rod building world.

The Baja Guy

Dominick

Alex, I'm not sure that that rod will work.  I will PM you my address and you can send it to me for testing.  :D  Great looking rod.  You are getting to be a master at the craft.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Dom is correct. That will never work, the guides are all in a row, not spiral wrap. You have my address and can send it on up for me a Christmas tomato stake as you will never be able to catch fish with that  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Beautiful work compadre!

Gobi King

The fish might just pass out when they see that rod, cuz that rod is the shizzle  ;D
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Ron Jones

Nice choice of components. I love the dragon scales!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

David Hall

Quote from: Gobi King on December 17, 2018, 10:06:42 PM
The fish might just pass out when they see that rod, cuz that rod is the shizzle  ;D

that is the best descriptive of this colorful beauty.  nicely done Alex.

Swami805

Came out great Alex,Time to out a bend in it. The superman logo is nice with that color combo.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

droppedit

Outstanding work Alex! Better watch out, soon you will be building so many Steelfish rods you won't have time for fishing.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

sdlehr

Looks like you've got decals on thread wraps - I don't think they're weaves - how did you do that? Or are those decals on the blank and I'm just thinking I'm seeing thread wraps there? (Edit: the blank is black, I'm confused)
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

ReelFishingProblems

Great looking rod!