Penn harness lug changes

Started by 1badf350, December 25, 2018, 04:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Does anybody know when Penn changed from the D shaped lugs to the O shaped lugs?
I have both first and second gen 12/0. Both have drilled spools, which based on our conversations means pre-war. The first gen has the D shaped front lugs. The second gen has the O shaped lugs. I know the very first 12/0 reels did not have front lugs at all.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

handi2

I dont know but when someone asks me what style of 113H to look for I steer them towards the thin harness lugs and thin posts. They usually have steel main gears.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

sdlehr

I thought it was first-year 9/0's that had the D-shaped harness lugs.... but could be wrong now - it's been discussed here before, but it's been a few years - I think it was Ted, maybe Mike, hopefully one of them will be along soon. I think John (Tightlines666) was in on the conversation as well.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

This is a trait that I have noticed but never paid much attention to. My feelings always were, the "D" aka smaller lugs were earlier design and I place them pre-war, but, I suspect they may even be 1930's. Basically it is impossible to know. I am sure Penn used them until the stock was depleted. I do have first generation reels with the larger round style lug, so I feel the small "D" lug was first.

mizmo67

I have to agree with Mike that the early D was phased out in favor of the O.
Rarely see the D
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on December 26, 2018, 03:17:29 PM
This is a trait that I have noticed but never paid much attention to. My feelings always were, the "D" aka smaller lugs were earlier design and I place them pre-war, but, I suspect they may even be 1930's. Basically it is impossible to know. I am sure Penn used them until the stock was depleted. I do have first generation reels with the larger round style lug, so I feel the small "D" lug was first.
I was under the impression that the earlier "D" lugs were improved upon with the "O" lugs - there isn't as much metal on the "D" lugs, I assumed they failed under extreme conditions and were replaced. That may just be an assumption I made after gathering some factual information, I'm not sure anymore.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Cuttyhunker

Chris,
My 37 12/0 D
2 9/0 first gen D
9/0 early gen 2 no #'s coin edge D
9/0 early gen 2 numbered, logo under eccentric D for the front lugs, the reel photos of this one I have handy only show front lugs, tops hidden by handle.
4/0 early gen 2 numbered, logo under eccentric D
Doomed from childhood