YELLOWTAIL FROM SHORE

Started by Cor, December 29, 2018, 06:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cor

I found a video of shore based fishing I made during 2007.   At the time I was learning how to film and edit and never really got much further then making 2 or 3 videos.

The quality leaves much to be desired and the editing also contains many errors and it is too long so I would not mind if you fast forward.

Nevertheless, it gives some idea of what I do here on the shore fishing front and you can see some fish taking lures which I till today find exiting.

Sadly I also realised that at least three of the guys in the video are no longer with us.

Our Yellowtail are only about 12 lb's on average, that's why we fairly easily lift them out the sea, though its not as easy as it seems.

Cornelis

ChileRelleno

In'freaking'credible fishing action in a seriously beautiful and unique spot!   :o

I've seen some other shore fishing videos with large pelagics right up against rocky drop off in deep water.
But this one has a refreshing nostalgic feel to it that is a great break from the newer stuff.

What a blessing to have been/be able to fish such spots and catch those fish.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Dominick

Cor, great video.  One question, why the fast retrieve?  It looked like the lure was outrunning the fish on several retrieves.  Also, I never saw squid swimming on the surface.  Pretty unique.  Thanks for posting.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

cool video!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Thanks for sharing your Video.
I really enjoyed it.
Nothing like the rush of fish chasing your lures like that! ;)
Life is Good!

Benni3

Love it,,,, :D great job on the video,,,,that looks like a blast  ;D

Swami805

Thanks for posting that, That's a very unique fishery, not many places on the planet that's possible. Do you still do it?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Cor

I fished there for the first time when I was 12 years old, 1963 and was immediately totally hooked.    The very sad reality is that the place has become totally spoilt by new generation anglers who have no consideration for others.   I was there Yesterday and it was just unfishable because of exces people, casting over one another and a every man for himself attitude.  Leave it there. :'( :'(

I think in most cases the film exaggerates the retrieve speed but Yellowtail usually like a fast retrieve and often thy will turn off if you slow it down.    Those that understand what the fish want will vary the speed to find what works on the day or that  moment.   Often you will see one fish latching on to a lure, but it stays say a number of feet behind without making any effort to get at it.   By subtly increasing your wind you often turn the fish on and catch it.   If you slow down, they mostly turn off.   But in true Yellowtail fashion I have also caught many hundreds of fish on a slow lure ;D

When working an iron in the water (by first sinking it) you can not wind it away from the fish, they can always catch it if they want   Even when using a reel with a 45 inch per handle turn retrieve rate.

Just something about those whales, they really were as close as 10 meters from me at times, I got down there all alone and had a large pod of Southern Right whales who were in a mating game and did not move away.    Sometimes it looks like they come to check who is sitting watching them, you can see their eyes seemingly focused on you.   You may see the female turning on her back or side, that is the whale equivalent of "not tonight dear" ;D

@ Dominick....the squid is right at the end, its a very large red squid, the size of a Humbolt.    I had never seen one before and have not seen one since.  It was found dead a little bit further up the coast a few days later, which probably explains why it was there.  One of our scientific friends identified it as such.
Cornelis

Zimbass

Enjoyed the video Corne. Thanks for sharing.

Wanted to ask if your wife gave you the eyeball when you were catching Yellowtail on Christmas day !!! :o

Cheers Bud.

Terry
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

CapeFish

This is mqgnifisc3nt Cor thanks. I watched the other one on youtube a while ago. I saved it. It was fantastic. I have read so many amazing stories of Rooikrantz, even accounts of mackerel of around 8kg coming out there years ago. I would like to go fish there  but have heard of the bad behaviour, so far I have limited myself to the railway line   :)

Cor

Quote from: Zimbass on December 30, 2018, 04:44:01 AM
Enjoyed the video Corne. Thanks for sharing.

Wanted to ask if your wife gave you the eyeball when you were catching Yellowtail on Christmas day !!! :o

Cheers Bud.

Terry
She married me with fishing infatuation and all one lone time ago.    Occasionally I need to remind her of my rights but usually I have sandwiches waiting for me at 05h00 in the morning, including some treats.   :D
Cornelis

Maxed Out

Great video Cor......I'm assuming you are one of the old school "springbucks".

What's your personal best catch from the ledges ??

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

gstours

Thanks for sharing your video with us.     Enjoyed the whale footage the most.   I can see why people worsen.  Exciting and a little dangerous.   Enjoy life while you can  :)

Dominick

Quote from: Cor on December 30, 2018, 02:43:09 AM
 You may see the female turning on her back or side, that is the whale equivalent of "not tonight dear" ;D

...or a whale of a headache.   :D  Dominick

P.S. Thanks for the explanation on the retrieve. 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Penn Chronology

Colin, this video brought back memories from five year ago research I did for an article in the "Reel News" ORCA publication. I may have posted the article somewhere else in these forums; but, I want to post it here for you to read and see how it relates to the real life experiences you have had on the Rooikranz. Part of my article moves to the land based fishing in Port Elizabeth, so it has a taste of both oceans. It will take two posts to get the entire article posted.

This article is Chapter 13 in my green book.

I loved the video!!

And thank you Ted for alerting me to the post.....

Mike C.