Spin rod for snap casting

Started by Guldhamstern, December 30, 2018, 10:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guldhamstern

Saw a video on youtube, with Joe Robinson performing some really cool spin casting. Digged deeper down the worm hole and came across a book from "Modern science of spin-fishing (1961)" by Erne St. Claire. Erne's ideal spin rod for lures 1/16 - 1/4 oz
is 6 - 6'6" long, made of fiberglass, got slow action and flexes over the whole span (full bow action).

If such rod does not exist, he suggest the reader to make one himself, of a two piece 8'6" dry fly blank.

In the book he teaches the technique of some casts wich uses the power of the flexing fiberglass rod.

Any good suggestions for spin rod or blanks?
"Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new."
-Henry David Thoreau

philaroman

1) Joe Robinson has his own book...  specifically, about XUL spinning (lures 1/64 - 1/16 oz.): http://piscatorialabsurdities.com/1.html

2) plenty old UL Fenwick's were Mod-Slow...  don't remember the lightest XUL (1-3# & 1-4# line rating) being over 6', but plain UL (2-6# line rating) went up to 12' Noodle (definitely, SLOW)
...many other brands, too, but Fenwick's are most abundant & most descriptively labeled

oc1

There's tons of old glass rods at the auction.  You will see tubular and solid glass.  Tubular is lighter, but solid glass can have a slower action.  Some, like the Phillipson, Kennedy Fisher and Silaflex are a little pricy, but the vast majority are dirt cheap. The spinning rods seldom have a lure weight rating but the fly rods are almost always marked with line weight to give you some idea of how they will perform.  The action is invariably slow and they flex down into the butt because that was the nature of the beast.  Fiberglass is very elastic so a fast action fiberglass rod would have had to be very heavy and cumbersome.  Trim from the butt to get the length you want.
-steve

wfjord

Before his career as a rod builder/designer got launched Gary Loomis was making his spinning rods from flyrod blanks.

Guldhamstern

Quote from: philaroman on December 30, 2018, 11:54:09 AM
1) Joe Robinson has his own book...  specifically, about XUL spinning (lures 1/64 - 1/16 oz.): http://piscatorialabsurdities.com/1.html

2) plenty old UL Fenwick's were Mod-Slow...  don't remember the lightest XUL (1-3# & 1-4# line rating) being over 6', but plain UL (2-6# line rating) went up to 12' Noodle (definitely, SLOW)
...many other brands, too, but Fenwick's are most abundant & most descriptively labeled

I sure like to get a hold of that book! But it's seems rare, and especially har to get in sweden.
There was a god made like a hybrid fly/spin rod, by TFO aimed for XUL, think Mr. Loomis had something to do with that, once again hard to get in sweden.

Glass seems to be neglected in sweden, there could be some older rods but the opportunity to find them on the market rarely arises, and then they are not vary cheap.
There are some old fiberglass on ebay, but what would be really nice, is some experience of some tested gears.
-Henry David Thoreau

philaroman

if you're in Sweden, you can prob. find good Garcia glass (tobacco Conolon, etc.)

Guldhamstern

Finally got my rod.
Made it from a 3wt fly blank.
I've yet to grasp any fine technique to cast proper.
But i landed a 1,7 kg pike in the weekend, to be fair she was not putting much of a fight against the weak rod. Fittedwith an Alcedo micron.

-Henry David Thoreau

oc1

Newell Nut

Fun creating little niche rods. Nice job.

Dwight

Guldhamstern

Yeah, it is really a rewarding thing to do.
-Henry David Thoreau

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Dominick

Nice work Marc.  Good to see you out.  Has spring arrived in the northern hemisphere?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

Quote from: Guldhamstern on March 18, 2019, 07:26:52 PM
Finally got my rod.
Made it from a 3wt fly blank.
I've yet to grasp any fine technique to cast proper.
But i landed a 1,7 kg pike in the weekend, to be fair she was not putting much of a fight against the weak rod. Fittedwith an Alcedo micron.

how long is that fly rod blank?
and what is the weight of the lures you use with that rod?

The Baja Guy

sundancer

This is funny

Just got 2 old, cheap 9' 4-6 wt, fly rod blanks off eBay from a Seller that I seem to do a lot of business with..  got'em because i couldn't pass up the price.  Didn't really know what I was going to do with them.

Anyway - they came Monday..  Thinking about them, measured one up and took a chance and cut 2' off the tip.. 

Boy that sure changed the action..  Still plenty slow but in the range of a light Spinning Rod.  Going to put Guides and a Handle on it soon and wish for good weather..

Steve
Miles to go.....,