AVET HXJ 5/2...new custom handle

Started by Alto Mare, December 31, 2018, 10:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Did anyone else has ever had problems fitting the correct screwdriver tip in these tiny screws, or am I the only one?

A reel made in USA and my 4-5 dozen screwdriver tips made in USA didn't work :-\.
I had to make my own by grinding the tip.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

i have one that works fine but is "custom" as well.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

I have a screwdriver I got at Home Depot. It is a convertible that has three bits in the handle. These bits are all tiny and have a flat head on one end and a Phillips on the other. The smallest Phillips is actually too small for the Avet handle knob screws,
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Gfish

No. Only one screwdriver for a sample size, and it worked. Kinda a complicated arrangement for the knob, eh? I removed 1 of the shims to get mine up to par.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

handi2

No problem with the screws but getting the correct socket to fit the nut and fit into the hole. I have the right one and put it away by itself.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

exp2000

Quote from: handi2 on January 01, 2019, 12:26:14 AM
No problem with the screws but getting the correct socket to fit the nut and fit into the hole.

x2

Any suggestions?
~

Alto Mare

Thanks guys! I thought it was strange, those are definitely not machined for US tools.
This isn't the first knob I removed and a small Phillips head has always worked with no issues.
It is a great reel, but they should do better on those.

Sal

Keith and Brett, I have not had a problem with the nut.
The first attempt it came off my mag but holder, the second time I rested the nut on top and the bit holder did the job.
Looks as the 1/4" bit holder is perfect for this situation, it fits to perfection.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I have a more pointed #2 Philips that I use. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Marlinmate

Now that the handle is apart...what is the correct sequence of washers that go back together?  One of the washer has an "oblong" opening in it?

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Alto Mare

Quote from: Marlinmate on January 03, 2019, 04:44:13 AM
Now that the handle is apart...what is the correct sequence of washers that go back together?  One of the washer has an "oblong" opening in it?

The washers go back as I'm showing them on the pic above.
The thinner ( 3 ) washers are shims, you might find the same or you might find less or more...it wouldn't matter.
Those go in first, next would be the keyed washer and then the lock washer.

My reason for removing the knob is that a member requested a larger knob for these nice reels.

I usually wouldn't get involved in some like this, but he's a good guy and couldn't say no.
I'm waiting on a blade and I'm hoping it will work. I do not want to destroy the stock handle if I don't have to

Sal

Darin Crofton

Oh man I'm hoping for success on this one ;D ;D ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Alto Mare

Well, I just received the blade and it fits to perfection. This is not an Avet part, but the machining is perfect, everything lines up:

Of course the reel would have worked just fine as it was, but it should be a little better now:

Sal

Darin Crofton

That looks incredible, and the knob goes so well with the silver reel, great job, Sal!!!
Signed one happy Raptor owner ;D ;D ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

MarkT

I thought Accurate uses #6 torx screws.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Alto Mare

I'm not sure Mark.
The 2 Philips head screws on the handle nut were standard, the 2 mentioned above on the knob were not.
I used many screwdriver tips, none worked. I'm not sure why they would have two different screw heads on the same reel, maybe the handle came from somewhere else :-\.
The good part, it worked out.

Sal