Sanding Stainless Drag Washers to Make Flat

Started by Ralph165, January 03, 2019, 02:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph165

First off, my apologies for the lousy title. I really could not think of a better way to describe this. Secondly, I just want to thank all the regular contributors who have really helped me over the years! After years of trolling I finally joined.

I was wondering if anyone ever takes stainless drag washer to a flat grinding stone to remove the high spots and "true" them...kinda like cutting your brake rotors on your car?

I have a Daiwa Saltist 6500H spinning reel I use for tuna jigging. The drag has gotten pretty "lumpy" feeling. Cleaning and greasing didn't help. So today I put them to a flat stone. Instantly I noticed high spots, especially along the edges. After a little while on the stone they became much smoother as they moved across it. Afterwards, I cleaned, greased and put them back on the reel. It seems that the drag is much smoother now. Is this a good thing to do? or should I simply order a new drag stack from Daiwa?

Thanks!

Shark Hunter

Welcome Ralph! ;)
My best guess is that you would have to do the same thing to new ones to actually true them.
I would just be careful not to take off too much to shorten the drag stack.
New drag washers may be in order to tighten it up.
I'm assuming you are sanding metals and not the actual drag discs.
If they get hot, they sometimes glaze and will feel jerky.
As long as you have full drag capabilility when locking down, I'd say you are good to go,
Daron
Life is Good!

reel man

Most reel manufacturers stamp their drag discs with a stamping die which leaves the discs concaved, and this causes a reduction in drag surface. Smoooth Drag offers ground flat discs for some reels, but you would have to check with them for you application. I've sanded ss discs using a figure 8 motion that proved to be effective, but was very labor intensive.

alantani

i tried that once, but never found much of a difference.  under enough pressure, the uneven metal and carbon fiber washers usually flatten out well enough.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oc1

Quote from: Ralph165 on January 03, 2019, 02:22:03 AM
I really could not think of a better way to describe this.

Lapping.  You would want them to be both flat and of uniform thickness with the opposing surfaces parallel.
-steve

Donnyboat

Hi Lapping, and thanks for your post, I think your on the right track, I have been leveling my metal washer, by rubbing them on wet & dry cloth, starting with 600, then1200, & then 2000, takes a while, but I believe it helps, nice smooth even drag, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

philaroman

in an old post, a member suggested working on a sheet of glass, to insure a flat surface
(manual sanding, of course)

Midway Tommy

Quote from: philaroman on January 03, 2019, 06:16:02 AM
in an old post, a member suggested working on a sheet of glass, to insure a flat surface
(manual sanding, of course)

That's the best way, using wet & dry fine grit glued to the glass if you want them really true. It is tedious work.   ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

You might want to try this if you want to save the tip of your fingers
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7996.msg77029#msg77029
I still use a piece of wood for the washer and the white tape still does a good job holding the washer.
I now have a piece of stainless steel in 1/8" it is pretty flat, I stick my sandpaper to it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

exp2000

I did just this for the same reel many years ago.

Use plenty of water on quality wet and dry sandpaper and it will naturally adhere to a glass sheet.

Add a few drops of dish-washing liquid and the whole process will go much smoother.

Start course and work down through the grades. 5000 grit will literally give you a mirror finish.

Wear some leather gloves if you wanna keep your finger prints :)

But those standard drag washers are just crap.
Replace them with carbontex and you will see a world of difference.
~

Ralph165

Thanks for all the input...this will really help.

I did this to a few reels many years ago, and like Alan, didn't notice much of a difference. This time though, it was noticeably improved. I used a knife sharpening stone, but maybe will try some of the tips suggested. After wearing the finger tips on my rubber gloves, I realized I had to keep my fingers on the metal of the washer.

It was rather tedious....I will pick a day I have nothing to do and sit in front of the tv for a while!

Yes "lapping"....I knew there was a word!

philaroman

quick question:

is honing oil worth the extra expense & mess, for wet sanding/grinding?

PacRat

Yes, use oil with a stone and water with wet and dry paper. You really don't need a mirror finish...just flat. Too smooth and you might experience some negative affects.

Cor

To me it seems to make sense to do this, and have often taken the trouble to do it.
Eared washers are a problem.

Question is does it really improve you drag, I am unable to prove it!

Perhaps a man should take the drag reading before and after but other factors may then also come in to play, new grease, new carbon washers etc.
Cornelis

Swami805

Is there a good way to hold the washer while you're doing it? Just press down with your thumb? I'm partial to my fingertips. Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are