The 349 Project

Started by Rothmar2, January 04, 2019, 10:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

That's a great looking job !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mhc

Your beast of a 349H has turned out pretty schmick Chris - the polish on the black/white swirl grip is spectacular. I hope you get a bit more bench time next year to keep the rest of us inspired with your skills.

Mike 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

That's a killer reel! The knob looks amazing! But then again can't expect anything less from you.

Excellent upgrade Chris!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rothmar2

Hi All,

Well it's finally done, the last couple of things I wanted have been made and are fitted.
I really wanted the SS rings as per my other builds

And a Ted style clutch lever

I also replaced all the screws, button head SS 5-40 UNC's for the side plates, 6-40 UNC caps for the bridge.
I haven't shown it, but there is Adam's (Motive Fab, I wonder how he is doing?) drag insert, and one of his stars, wide section, and I love it. I also had to put a small shim on the left end of the spool shaft on the Newell spool, still had a little axial play with the left end bearing cap buttoned down. Going lug-less with this one, so here it is

I may get around one day to making the versa-dog lever in stainless, but at this point I have polished the chrome of the original, and it's hard to tell the difference.
Will spool it up with 50lb braid and a top-shot. I was considering 80lb, but am concerned that I would end up bending the spool shaft ends again. After all the time I put into straightening it, I feel it isn't worth the risk.

Thanks for looking!

Wompus Cat

All that I See wrong with  it  is ABSOLUTELY NOTHIN!
ONE OF A KIND!!
Thanks for the 3 Year update or I would have Missed it .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

thorhammer

Chris!!! Glad to see you're still at it!!! Great piece of work.

John

Swami805

That's a beauty, as always first class craftmanship, Thanks for the up date
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mhc

Nice touch engraving the lever settings on the rings and the SS clutch lever is a work of art in itself. It has taken a while to make that elusive 4th ring but it has definitely been worth the wait - a very sleek tanked mariner. I forget the drag figures Adam's 349 inserts generate but it was more than needed.

Mike 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Rothmar2

Quote from: mhc on March 14, 2022, 08:43:04 AMNice touch engraving the lever settings on the rings and the SS clutch lever is a work of art in itself. It has taken a while to make that elusive 4th ring but it has definitely been worth the wait - a very sleek tanked mariner. I forget the drag ;D  figures Adam's 349 inserts generate but it was more than needed.

Mike 

Hi Mike,

Yep, you know it took a long time to getting around to making the 4th ring after I messed one up out of the initial 4 blanks I had. Sorry to have devalued your set by 50%...
Not too concerned about getting huge drag numbers out of the insert kit, as long as it's smooth, I'm good with that. Initial tests feel very nice.
Would like to say thanks to John for checking up on me while I have been a little quiet the last couple of years. Got a few things to show soon though.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rancanfish

Now I have to resist buying a 349. Nah, I'll never find one that nice!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Love the reel Chris!

If you can use another Newell 349H spool.  I have one that is brand new but has a flat spot in the edge of the handle side rim.  It looks like someone dropped it on a hard floor. If you think that you can fix it, I will make you one hell of a deal.  Please take a look at the photos and let me know what you think.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on March 14, 2022, 06:28:39 PMLove the reel Chris!

If you can use another Newell 349H spool.  I have one that is brand new but has a flat spot in the edge of the handle side rim.  It looks like someone dropped it on a hard floor. If you think that you can fix it, I will make you one hell of a deal.  Please take a look at the photos and let me know what you think.

If he Doesn't I Does.

Rothmar2

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on March 14, 2022, 06:28:39 PMLove the reel Chris!

Hi Randy

Been a while! But I would like to see Wompus have first dibs at it.I appreciate the offer though.
What I really would like is a crank side bearing, as I have enough parts to make another 349, all except  the vital bearing. I do realise however, that these are practically "unobtainium".

Wompus Cat

Is This the Bearing you refer to?