Anybody allergic to fish or seafood?

Started by festus, January 05, 2019, 06:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I used to love most seafood until I got sick two different occasions from fried clams when I was in my mid-twenties.  Since then I've lost my taste for lobster, crab, shrimp, well, practically all fish or seafood. Most TWRA lakes around here in East Tennessee have warning signs everywhere you look saying don't eat the catfish, stripers, drum, bass, or sauger from mercury and PCB contamination.  The last few years the only time I keep fish are maybe shad, skipjack  herring, or bream to use as catfish or striper bait.

Here's a tragic article about some unfortunate 11 year old boy who died from an allergic reaction to smelling cooked fish.  I'm sort of skeptical about this, but who knows. 

http://www.fox19.com/2019/01/03/boy-dies-apparent-allergic-reaction-smell-cooking-fish/?fbclid=IwAR2MUVIAGFAI6oME8sUuDjUm_9NqjHOYy9F5w04tOUiRmKuLD3rYXTa08w0

David Hall

I grew up fishing with all those mercury warnings, ate everything I caught.  Still kicking too!

festus

It's probably been 8 or 9 years ago, but in the spring I used to always keep a mess or two of crappie.  Fishing is fun, I just don't care for eating them much anymore.

sdlehr

Quote from: David Hall on January 05, 2019, 06:49:32 PM
I grew up fishing with all those mercury warnings, ate everything I caught.  Still kicking too!

Mercury can affect the brain in sublethal doses. This explains a lot :) :)

Quote from: festus on January 05, 2019, 06:42:47 PM
I'm sort of skeptical about this, but who knows. 
I'm not. It's rare, but a known risk for some highly allergic people. The allergens in the air from cooking must've done a real number on the kids lungs.... I think what may be unusual is that this kid apparently hadn't a known fish allergy.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

alantani

my wife is severely allergic to fish.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

festus

A couple of my friends have been hospitalized from allergic reaction to shrimp. 

Both times I ate clams it caused moderate nausea.  I didn't go to the doctor, just avoided eating them altogether.  Been leery of eating anything similar for the past 45 years or so.

Midway Tommy

The majority of the mercury issues in fish are from those that spend most of their time at or near the bottom and accumulate in the larger fish. The smaller, better eating examples haven't had enough time to accumulate hazardous amounts. Moderation is the key, a meal now and then isn't considered dangerous except maybe to pregnant or breast feeding women and real little kids. People seem to have less allergic reactions to freshwater fish than to saltwater fish like tuna and other seafoods.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Shark Hunter

I love all seafood, but occasionally have a reaction to shrimp.
It is short lived, but not pleasant.
No other problems with crab, fish, oysters, scallops, lobster, mussels.
It is only the shrimp, I'll break out in hives, but an hour later I am fine.
It will intensify If I start itching, I just try not to.
I know most store bought shrimp is farm raised and that is the only type I have an issue with.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

I'm allergic to red dye and shell fish has never bothered me. Doctors cant figure that out.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Crow

I have *mild* reactions to some saltwater fish, but , I just don't eat so much, and it's "bearable". The mercury and pcb levels in my "home" river (the Rock River, in northern Illinois) are high enough that they have the same kind of restrictions....only one meal a week, for adults, kids and pregnancy= no consumption. That's only on catfish , carp, and some species of suckers. Smallmouth and walleyes aren't "limited''.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

David Hall

The local river I fished growing up the Guadalupe collected the run off from the largest most productive quicksilver mine in America the Guadalupe mine.  It was active from the 1840's to the 1970's  Fish never seemed to mind it so I didn't either.

conchydong

Thank God, I am ok with all seafood. I did get sick after eating raw oysters once in New Orleans many, many, years ago. I attribute it to a bad oyster as I have not had any problems since. I feel sorry for those who have reactions, because I would rather eat a good piece of fresh fish than the best aged steak.

Scott

swill88

I got confused a bit reading this thread.
Is an allergic reaction to fish at all connected to mercury levels?
I thought these were separate issues.
Steve

exp2000

I have an allergic reaction to sand crabs. Not critical mind you. My nose just turns into a faucet.

I used to eat a lot of fish when I was younger and I experienced a strange reaction on one specific occasion.
I recall eating that one particular meal because for the next ten years or more, every species of fish tasted exactly the same monotone flavor: it had a kind of off crayfish taste to it!

Kinda spoiled things for me for the longest time but fortunately this peculiarity eventually dissipated and I could once again enjoy the distinct flavors of the various species.
~

nelz