Rubber buffer with spring on D-A-M Quick Super 270

Started by festus, January 05, 2019, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Fred, that is really nice of you and it is very much appreciated.
I don't mind experimenting with what works on the reels that would be fished, by I have a few of these reels in my collection that could really use the original part.

Thank you!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

festus

Quote from: foakes on January 06, 2019, 09:58:28 PM
Still waiting to hear from Festus.  Those are easy to dig out if a tiny pick and a little patience is applied.

I just dig out the root of the old bumper with a 1/16" drill bit attached to a mini pair of Vise Grips for control.  Then the rest just comes out easily with an offset pick.

Install the spring FIRST onto the bumper — then insert into the hole.  A half a drop of TacGlue can be used if one wishes — or just pop it in the hole without the glue.  It will hold either way.  The spring helps to keep the bumper from being impacted as much — and also from "mushrooming".  

Like Steve sez — the proper bail height also gives the proper line lay on the spool.
Fred, I partially disassembled the reel to make it easier.  Separated the rotor from the body, then removed the spool and bail assembly and dug the old plastic/rubber out with a pick.  Your picture of the spring sure helped understand what's going on.  Thanks again for being so generous.  I'll send you a message with my address plus another question.

My Super 270 will probably be fished more than my 550's and 550N's.  I like the internals better.

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Sal & Festus —

Couldn't get to the Post Office yesterday.

Wife was heading down to Fresno early this morning — so she dropped them off for me.

On the way —

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Thank you Fred! I'm not sure about Chester, but there was no rush for mine.
I do appreciate the effort though.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oldmanjoe on January 08, 2019, 05:54:06 PM
  I use a ink pen tube ,   http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=26092.msg295501#msg295501

Since they are hollow and the Super's bail is heavy, how long do they last before compressing?

On a different note, I have been known to make them out of a dense eraser using a leather punch when I don't have hard rubber available. They last a long time.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Quote from: foakes on January 08, 2019, 05:59:13 PM
Sal & Festus —

Couldn't get to the Post Office yesterday.

Wife was heading down to Fresno early this morning — so she dropped them off for me.

On the way —

Best,

Fred
No rush here either, Fred, thanks so much. 

basenjib123

festus

Quote from: foakes on January 06, 2019, 09:58:28 PM

Still waiting to hear from Festus.  Those are easy to dig out if a tiny pick and a little patience is applied.

I just dig out the root of the old bumper with a 1/16" drill bit attached to a mini pair of Vise Grips for control.  Then the rest just comes out easily with an offset pick.

Install the spring FIRST onto the bumper — then insert into the hole.  A half a drop of TacGlue can be used if one wishes — or just pop it in the hole without the glue.  It will hold either way.  The spring helps to keep the bumper from being impacted as much — and also from "mushrooming".  
Best,

Fred
My parts arrived yesterday, Fred, but getting that bumper and spring into the hole isn't as easy as it sounds.  I've tried needlenose pliers, tweezers, and the side of a flat bladed screwdriver and still no luck.  I'll keep trying.

Alto Mare

Mine didn't arrive yet  Chester, I will let you know how I make out, once they get here.

festus

Thanks Sal, the bumper will fit the hole without the spring but I want to get it right.

foakes

Hmmm, Sal —

I sent yours before Festus.

Keep me posted.

If they are lost, I will send another dozen.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Will do Fred, I'm thinking it will get here soon. A nice size snowstorm Came through the northeast, we only got 1.5".

Sal

Dominick

Festus dip the rubber in alcohol.  It will make it slicker than snot.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

If you just get the back edge barely in — then you can twist it slightly clockwise as you compress it into the hole.  I think Dominick may be right with the alcohol — but I have never needed to use it if started with a twist instead of just forcing it into the hole.

Of course, the good Counselor may be using this as an excuse to break out the Zin...!?

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.