One more episode of the 12 v reel

Started by gstours, January 06, 2019, 04:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here is another clip of some halibut fun.  Perfect weather, nice easy start.  Lets see what happens putting a big bait on the rod w 12v.

Frank

WOW! Nice fish. Gary, do you make the rigs yourself?
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Frank

Do you have a preference in strip baits to sweeten the teasers?

gstours

Frank.  I enjoy making my own halibut rigs,  I'm not aware of anybody that uses my designs.  It's an evolutionary process.   As I'm looking at my rigs on the wall,  some times I see stuff I've made and say I'd never use it again and cut it apart and save the usable parts.
  My friends don't believe in my led lights above the baited hook.   What is true is sometimes they get the big fish 🐟 and sometimes the light 💡 makes me believe it doesn't hurt anything. 🤔
  I have refined my basic rig to a 18/0 circle hook with a 8-12/0 trailer j hook.  The trailer is a braid cord using a whipped braid wrap and epoxy covered finish.   This is usually re-usable,  the circle ⭕️ hook is free to move and a small loop is made and crimped.  Weed eater .080 round line is used w 2.3 mm aluminum crimp sleeves.   I've never had a failure with this line.  It's very scratch resistant. 
  I,m not to impress anyone.   I'm not an expert at anything.  I just like to fish 🐡
      Personally I like large strips of bait injected with some scent oil, as these are immediately letting out a scent trail.   I'm from the bigger is better school for bait.   To each there own.    I want to play my best hand  of course some days it doesn't matter....  big fish have big mouths 👄.   🤦‍♀️

Frank

Thanks so much for taking the time to post all this information. This is why I love your non edited or doctored up videos. I'm getting your view of everything that's going on as well as detailed views of rigs and equipment. Being an older East coaster I see no Halibut fishing in my future but I sure do like watching everything involved. You say your not an expert but I think your selling yourself short. I wouldn't hesitate doing a charter with you for a second.

gstours

Thanks Frank,  👋   we all have different opportunities, rich or poor people have been fishing where and when they can.   I,m glad to share some of my findings to the forum.   
  The 12 volt reel stuff gets folks stimulated it seems.   Maybe like our national elections?  Either or ?
     I,m not sure if the scoffers would wanna reel up a 7 pound sash weight from several hundred to a thousand feet deep many times before calving in and sit down.   Good fishing to everyone.👍

Frank

Quote from: gstours on January 07, 2019, 02:19:45 AM
I,m not sure if the scoffers would wanna reel up a 7 pound sash weight from several hundred to a thousand feet deep many times before calving in and sit down.👍

I find pulling up a 16 oz. sinker from 240' a major chore. Can't ever imagine a 7 lb. sash weight.