2 Way Radios - which one?

Started by Gobi King, January 09, 2019, 10:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

These are what I have used for over 10 years —

Motorola Talkabout T5000's.

FRS/GMRS —

Claim 8 mile range — but 5 is more like it.  

I have used them in the mountains when separated by 4-5 miles in rough, canyon and mountain blocked terrain.

Everything I use has AA batteries whenever possible — flashlights, radios, etc.

Double charger is included.

I have used these in wet conditions for snowshoeing, snowmobiling, backpacking, fishing, boating, camping, etc.  

Very reliable with some nice semi-pro upgrade features.

A pair is pretty reasonable — $40 - $60, likely.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gobi King

Fred,
Danke!
I have to try out the privacy feature on the moto frs handhelds, I have similar hand helds, FRS.
From the specs, it has analog privacy feature, not sure what that means.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Benni3

Quote from: Gobi King on February 05, 2019, 03:15:27 PM
Fred,
Danke!
I have to try out the privacy feature on the moto frs handhelds, I have similar hand helds, FRS.
From the specs, it has analog privacy feature, not sure what that means.
I don't know why,,,,,, >:( but everything is going encrypted ?,,,,, ;D

Cuttyhunker

I know this is an older thread, but why not just burner cell phones, private, and the parks have pretty good service.  The kids can teach you how they work ;D
Doomed from childhood

Gobi King

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on April 25, 2021, 01:33:20 PM
I know this is an older thread, but why not just burner cell phones, private, and the parks have pretty good service.  The kids can teach you how they work ;D

Cuttyhunker,

Both my kids have the newest iphone, but where we go, there is hardly any signal.

I did find that the newest standard horizon handheld has some encryption, they are $$$$. I am pretty sure they are marine but has bands that can we used, I will call them and find out.
HX890  - $199 each, I will wait for a rebate to buy 2,

Also, Grandma and I go down the switch backs down the handicap pad to fish the rivers, getting consistent signal is an issue there too.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

gstours

Is the world so small now,  cell coverage everywhere?   I certainly hope not. ???    my bad? :-\

gstours

I,m sorry if I gave the wrong impression...... coverage with gps,cell, and vhs is what will save my life possibly,   only to be killed another way?
   OOps. >:(  there I go again........   Good luck everybody.    :)