Curado cu100B Is This Normal?

Started by CheneyDoleshal, September 13, 2011, 07:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CheneyDoleshal

I fish this old curado cu100b almost every day, rinse repeat. I've been noticing I have to clean out the gears wayyy more often than I should (almost everytime I fish) because of grinding, sticking, or wet drags. I noticed this hole a while ago from the outside, but figured it was blocked off on the inside so water couldn't penetrate the reel. Well I opened it up, and sure enough the hole leads right into the gear cavity. This is the reason my reel has been loading up on salt water every time I fish.

From the inside:

From the outside looking in:

So my question is, is that hole supposed to be there? I thought at first maybe a drain hole, but it seems to work the opposite. Is there supposed to be a screw or something else there? Any way to plug it, besides just covering it with grease?

Thanks

Bucktail

I just checked my reel.  There is a hole in the frame on the bottom.  It is on inside, front of the frame on the handle side.  If that's the one you were pointing out, then yes, it's there by design.
Just a jig-a-lo

Board4life

How bout rubber cement or hot glue gun? I would just stick some surfboard wax I have laying around in it.

CheneyDoleshal

Quote from: Bucktail on September 14, 2011, 06:11:43 AM
I just checked my reel.  There is a hole in the frame on the bottom.  It is on inside, front of the frame on the handle side.  If that's the one you were pointing out, then yes, it's there by design.

Yes buck, that's the same hole. Any idea what it's for? Have you ever noticed salt intrusion?

Bucktail

My guess is that it is there for drainage.  Although I primarily fish saltwater, I use this particular reel for bass fishing in freshwater only.  So, I really can't comment about the salt intrusion. 
Just a jig-a-lo

alantani

it's a drain hole.  with the amount of water intrusion that you are describing, your problem is likely to be much worse if you plug that hole.  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!