Penn Mag Power 970

Started by satbchbum, September 14, 2011, 09:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

satbchbum

Hello everyone,

First off, this is a great site! My question is concerning the Penn Mag Power 970. Since this reel is discontinued, I am wondering  - are there any compatible parts from other Penn reels that can be used on this reel? Also, are there any compatible aftermarket reel frames that would fit the screw pattern on this reel?

Thanks ahead of time for any responses....

redsetta

G'day and welcome,
Scott's still has a wide selection of Mag Power 970 parts available, which may suit your purposes: https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn970.aspx
Can't help with aftermarket frames, unfortunately.
Cheers, Justin

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

what parts are you looking for?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

satbchbum

I was wondering if the reel can take a stainless sleeve upgrade and if there are any replacement aluminum frames or sideplates that have matching screw patterns. I think it would a great reel to customize if possible.....

alantani

it will, but it's probably not worth the cost.......   :-\

satbchbum

Thanks a bunch. It's probably not worth it, but as all of us who have this reel affinity know, it's not always about the money....  :)

Aiala

Does anyone know of a source for Mag Power 980 parts? I need a left side plate and inner gold metal rings, none of which are available at Scott's...   :P

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

alantani

i scribbled myself a note to look tomorrow.  i don't think so, but i will look.

Aiala

Quote from: alantani on February 02, 2014, 01:02:23 AM
i scribbled myself a note to look tomorrow.  i don't think so, but i will look.

Thank you, Alan. I tried, too, but I don't think I'm all that search-savvy.  :-\

BTW, I received my 9/0 frame today, and it is out of this world!   :)

~A~

Keta

Quote from: Aiala on February 01, 2014, 05:11:15 PM
Does anyone know of a source for Mag Power 980 parts? I need a left side plate and inner gold metal rings, none of which are available at Scott's...   :P

Like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-PENN-CONVENTIONAL-REEL-PART-980-Power-Mag-Left-Side-Ring-A-/121167591953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3626ba11

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

yeah, i might have some.   gotta check tomorrow.  i'm skipping football. 

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

Okay, I clearly shouldn't be obsessing over this, but... although Scott's doesn't have any left-side plates for the 980, they do have one for the 990, so I'm wondering if the two are interchangeable? I strongly suspect that they are; in all the photos I can find, the two reels appear almost identical. The 990 had a faster retrieve ratio, but that would more likely affect the handle-side plate, right?

I may just go ahead and order the 990 plate, anyway. If it doesn't work, I can always offer it for sale.   :)

~A~

john2244

Looking at the 970, 980, and 990 reels is appears that the 970 and 980 side plates are the same.  The 990 is larger than the 970/980.

John

Aiala

Here's what Scott's has on all three reels:  https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennMagPower.aspx

The 980 and 990 look almost identical, while the 970 is narrower... At any rate, I wrote to them and asked my question.   :)

~A~

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"