Need Advice On Loose/Wobbly Early 60's Abu Ambassadeur 5000 Frame

Started by Walleye Guy, January 23, 2019, 07:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walleye Guy

I'm looking for some information on repairing an early 1960's wobbly Abu Ambassadeur 5000 frame.

I was searching online for some information and stumbled across this site.

Wow, this looks like a great site and I'm sure going to spend a lot of time here in the future!

I purchased five of these reels as Christmas gifts for my father and brothers (we love fishing with the old Abu reels), and I planned on refurbishing (disassemble, clean, regrease, etc) each reel prior to gifting them.

Unfortunately, two of the reels I purchased had loose frames so I had to quickly scramble and purchase two replacement reels on Ebay.

To be clear, if you hold one side of the frame with one hand the other side of the frame with the other hand then twist, the side plates are loose on the posts which span between them.

So now, after Christmas 2018, I have a couple reels leftover with loose frames that I'd like to repair if possible.

It looks to me like the posts are peened over and/or staked into place onto the outer face of the frame sides, but I'm not sure.

Has anyone successfully done this before?  Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

ps: I have full access to a machine shop, so I can get special tooling made if possible.

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Dominick

I trust that someone with Abu experience will chime in here.  I am surprised there have not been more responses.  Perhaps if you post some pictures of the side plates it will more illustrate your dilemma. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Yeah. Pictures please. Just got done refurbishing a '73 - 5000, but the frame was tight. Interested in this issue and glad you brought it up, as I get most a my oldies offa "the Bay" and I don't wanna buy one like that unless it's repairable.
And welcome to the site!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

When the screws are tightened on the tail cup and head cup doesn't everything tighten up and become rigid?  I need to look at mine tomorrow to refresh memory, but it seems like there is a peened dimple about 1/16 inch wide where the cross bars penetrate the frame side plates.
-steve

exp2000

I have seen a few ABU frames like his.

Sometimes they are even violently skewed from their original square alignment.

This happens when they are subject to severe stresses like "I think I just backed over something"?

Someone with a lot of time, the right tools and true dedication might be able to restore a loose or warped frame but as you have found, it's just much easier to replace it.

I would try something like silver soldering to restore rigidity but I do not possess the machine skills that others here might.

The following pics may provide some insight on how to approach this.

Keta

If you can find them I'd replace the frames, if not you have parts reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Walleye Guy

Thanks for all the advice fellas...it seems like there is some interest in this topic.  I'll try to get some pictures and post them.  To respond to oc1, yes everything tightens up when the reel is functional, but I would imagine that the slop would only increase over time during tear downs.  Like you said, the joints appear to be a peened dimple about 1/16 inch wide where the cross bars penetrate the frame side plates.  Silver solder is an interesting idea.  I've heard about this but have never done it myself.  I can do simple welding and electrical soldering, so I'm sure I can learn.  I was hoping that with the right tool I could "re-peen" the cross bar edges over and tighten things up.

Matt

foakes

Anything can be done, Matt —

Given the right amount of time, materials, patience, and a little luck.

I am not sure that light welding in these materials, or soldering would be a solid fix — they might though.

These frames were put together by craftsmen using a frame jig — and mechanical pressure and tolerances that needed to be very tight as well as exactly square.

When you are done — it may be OK — or it may be an issue waiting for a big fish to fail it again.

I wish you success — but another frame is what I would do —

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

drumbum

What I have done to make a torqued frame usable is to apply a little green locktite sleeve retainer to the joint of post and plate, then peen around post area of plate with an automatic spring loaded center punch.  Nice flat area like granite counter or similar is helpful in keeping frame square.

Three or four punches around each frame post tightens the interface up nicely.

Of course, YMMV.

Hope this helps.

Walleye Guy

I have some thoughts on a fixture to hold the two frame side plates concentric so I can peen over the cross bars with a custom punch.  I'm going to meet with a machinist friend to discuss this (he loves weird projects) but it might take a few weeks.  I'll be sure to post any updates so we can all learn.  I realize that it's easier and cheaper to simply replace the frame, but the used frames I've seen on Ebay were around $25 and corroded.  I have two loose frames that are in beautiful shape, so I'm hoping to fix them. 

sdlehr

Good luck. Be sure to report back after you have tried. Pictures tell the whole story better.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Lunker Larry

I've done a ton of ABUs and only seen one with the frame out of whack like that and it got crushed a bit. My recommendation would be to get a new frame. It would be tough to get it set true and not have your spools rubbing or line guide binding, etc.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Keta

I think the frame is #5157 and they are available for around $25.00.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Donnyboat

I would say a new frame would be the best option, if you loose a large fish, as the old frame fails, for example, a Western Australian DHU fish @ $70 to $85/Kg. I think the $25 would be a good investment, and you would have more chance of landing the fish. good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat