Working a South Shore Oahu Currentline 01-20

Started by Tightlines667, January 24, 2019, 02:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Conditions looked good, great weather report, nice south-side temperature break, and 3-day window around full moon, Sunday, so I invited Josh, my NMFS friend, fueled, iced, baited up and pushed off from Iroquois Point at 0600hrs. I rigged 3 dozen dinks, and we headed towards the temp break where it crossed the 500fa (2.5nm SSW of BO's last position). We set a 7 bait spread (3 long naked dinks, 2 short rigger popper/ballyhoo, planer islander/ballyhoo, 24 bait dredge on downrigfer under wake, and a naked dink fished just behind dredge.

We found a nice slick/debris line when we hit the 250. Worked it WSW for several miles and took a triple knockdown on the long baits. I managed a good hookset on one, and landed a 16lb Mahi. Several more passes around scattered White Terns and we missed another 2 bites on long baits.

Worked down to the end of the slick and picked up another 8lb Mahi on a short rigger (moldcraft/ballyhoo combo). Missed another Mahi, and worked back towards BO.

Around 1100 while approaching an inside bend on the break we got attached by a rat pack of nice Striped Marlin. All 6 baits got bit. Total choes in the pit with 2 of us scrambling to try to drop back on bites, and clear lines/dredge/planer. We only managed one good dropback (deep hooked fish), but hooked 3 others (presumably in the hard mouthparts) with the tiny 7/0 Mustad hooks. There were 4 fish jumping and spooling the reelsas we cleared gear, but one-by-one they threw the hooks. The second to last one came unbuttoned about 5 minutes after the bite. Hooked Josh up with a belt and he went to work on the fish standup style on 50WLRS spooled with JB holo, 80lb topshot, and 100lb leader. The fish put on quite a show but proved stuborn, dogging deep when brought within 100' of boat. We took our time and after 80minutes I sunk the gaff and boarded the 100lb+fish. Dressed and packed the fish before resetting the spread.

The currentline fell apart and the scattered debris was a PITA as we kept hooking it, tangling lines while setting and rerigging baits. It took 3 hours to finally get everything sorted. We lost another few Mahi bites while we were up in the bridge, and trolled back to the headbouys.

One the day, we went 2 for 7 on Mahi, and 1 for 6 on Striped Marlin bites. 3 for 13 is a pretty terrible hookup ratio, but I keep telling myself these dinks are getting bit 3-5Xs more than artificials. When you are on the dropbacks hookups go up to 40-80% and we are still learning how to fish these rigs.

We cut up one Mahi for dinner, the 17lb fish brought $4/lb and the 75lb (headed/taled/gutted) Striper brought$2.40/lb on the block. All in all a fun action-packed day on the water.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

swill88

Great report!  Great results!

Thanks for the education John.

Steve

Benni3

Looks like a fantastic time,,, :D  and a great fight,,, ;D

Jim Fujitani

Thanks, John.  I always look forward to reading your reports.