MLK Day Run

Started by Tightlines667, January 24, 2019, 03:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Similar conditions dictated we give the south side dink troll another chance. We loaded the 1999Cabo35 with 2 couples, a woman friend, Jay, his son, Bob, myself, ice, 3 dozen rigged dinks, and replaced topshots on 2 reels before leaving the dock around 0600. Started setting the spread at the headbouys and a Shibi smacked the long center before the rod was set in the rocket launcher. Jay dropped the bait down his throat and the single woman cranked him in on standup.

We set 3 long dinks, 2 short popper/ballyhoo, 1 islander/ballyhoo on a planer, a Moldcraft wide range on short corner, and a 5 moldcraft squid daisy chain teqser off the rigger and trolled out to the action area from the day before (2.5nm SSW of BO).

We discovered a large (100+) pod of Melan-headed Whales resting comfortably exactly on our numbers...bad sign. We trolled the entire 10nm area for 4 hours with no other signs of life and made the call to head North to the Diamondhead Pinnacle.

Halfway there we found a nice currentline which we worked. An inside bend had a log, a stump and several bobbies and White Terns working the area. We marked fish at 125' deep but worked in for 5 passes without a bite.

Moved north to the Pinnacle and found an old log and a broken boogie board. No marks, no bites. Worked the area for 2hrs without any signs of life.

Jay took the wheel and trolled to his Striper hotspot from last winter. He just finished saying "We are coming up on the spot now" when all hell broke loose. He jumped to the cockpit and I took the wheel as one-by one every ballyhoo in our spread got hit. Long right popped when on the bridge fish was hooked for a couple of jumps then threw the hook. Long center wqs picked up and Jay dropped this bait back, while he was dropping it the planner popped and started smoking. A fish popped up on the teaser and grabbed the trailing hookless ballyhoo. Jay set the hook on the one in his hand and I pulled the boat out of gear. The short popper behind the teaser popped, Jay grabbed it but wqs a second late on the dropback and the fish pulled free. Boat wqs comming to a stop and I see Jay grab the long left pop the clip and drop it back. He must have waited 45 seconds with slack line on the surface before engaging and reeling tight. Sure enough he had a third solid hookup. Jay's 4year old son, with a little help from one of the guys, took this one from the corner holder while we set 2 other guys up on standup gear, and cleared all the remaining gear.

All 3 fish put on quite a show, nearly spending as much time airbirn as not. Some agressive boat handling brought the planer fish on the TI80WA to gaff first. Fish exploded boatside and I body gaffed him. We threw him in the cockput and he went crazy. Jay jumped on the fish and put him in a headlock when he ended up under his son, and I spiked the fish. An hour later the strong marine was brought to his knees and almost passed out. We set the rod in the holder, he puked 3Xs, then straped into the fish again. The fish got fiesty as he neared the boat, and we almosr lost him once as he dove under the boat rubbing the leader on the hull, we quickly backed the drag off, until he was clear. It took us another 30minutes to bring him to a clean gaffshot. 5 minutes later gaffed the 3rd fish. All 3 turned out to be small Blue Marlin. This was a first-time triple header on Blues for both myself and Jay.

Bob turned the boat for home, so he didn't miss his outbound flight, and we reset the spread and dressed/packed the fish after a few photos. Once done, Bob busted out a bottle of Champagne and popped the top. Just cause for celebration. Back at the dock at 630pm.

A lackluster day of fishing turned out great with a single late day bite.

The small Blues weighed 52.0, 55.5, & 61.5lbs headed/tailed/gutted.. we got $4/lb on 2 (sold to local market), and $2.80/lb (auction) on the larger one.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

scrinch

Sounds like a fantastic day on the water. Congratulations!

Dominick

Good for you John.  I loved the money shot.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Jim Fujitani

Thanks again!  Fishing Hawaii vicariously through your reports.