Quick 1202 has arrived

Started by Waydown, January 26, 2019, 12:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waydown

Just bought a NIB 1202 and putting line on it yesterday. Perfect size for lot of the fish I target and a dream to cast. Put it on a 7' rod and will see how it does. Guy said he bought it when they first came out in 80's and been stored in its box...never used it. Still in plastic, the little device to switch to right hand retrieve, manual, box in perfect shape. Opened it up and packed with a dark brown grease but not dried out, just real thick, heavy. Don't know if should clean out and new grease or not....smooth as butter out of box. Line roller did not want to turn, so little oil on it and working fine. Noticed the line roller is not the dark gray tungsten carbide (believe it called) that on the other Quicks, but a silver color, so do not know if will hold up like the older ones. Looks to be a gray color under bottom of roller, so must be a two part material. Also, the drag material not the asbestos disk like the 1401 or 5001 I have seen, probably got replaced as it is banned material now and plastic white disk (forgot what it is called) is behind the drag knob. Seems to have plenty of drag though, but will see. Anyway, best Quick I have ever handled and very light, but not too light, and the can't wait for it to get little warmer and put it to work.

festus

Congratulations!  Even though it's already smooth, a good tear down and re-lube would undoubtedly improve its performance.

handyandy

Awesome buy I would still tear it down clean the old grease out and relube with new oils and grease. Lubes have a come a long ways since the 80's, that reel should last a couple lifetimes if taken care of.

Waydown

Am going to relube it....it is butter smooth but I agree, lubes much better now. Believe this the finest Quick i have ever handled, think it began production of the 1202 in 1984, so a 35 yr old reel never been used. Feel very fortunate to have been able to get this one. Been looking for a 1202 for awhile.