Self made worm gear with ball bearings?

Started by GulfOfBothnia, September 17, 2011, 08:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GulfOfBothnia

Hi,

Has any of you thought of building worm gear with ball ball bearings yourself? Or even done that?

I assume it would go like this when converting from conventional worm gear:
1. Open up the riveting that holds the cog wheel in place
2. The white bushing should be narrowed so that with ball bearing inserted the original dimensions stay same.
3. Put cog wheel back and rivet again

The pitfall is propably re-riveting... no material to rivet  :o
To overcome this... is it possible to get "plain" ambassadeur worm gears somewhere (I mean no bushing and cog wheel ever installed)?

What do you think.. does it make any sense even try this kind of conversion?

You should have a worn out worm gear to test but I don't.

GulfOfBothnia

wallacewt

if nobody answers it means they have no idea.me ive no idea.cheers

Snagged2

I've looked at doing this project,, and, approached it similar to your description,, I mainly just wanted to do it,, I probably don't Need it,,LOL

I needed some machining that I didn't have the capability for.. and,,  as you mention, re-attaching the cog gear to the shaft is a concern ,, dependability, function, etc..  I came up with a couple of ideas about that , but, didn't have the "tooling" I think I'd need to accomplish the task..

I settled for installing a bearing on the non-driven side,, and, in standard worm gear parts, is not a simple parts exchange, as the "stock" sleeve doesn't accept the bearing.. and, opening it up requires a bit of reaming..which I can get done..

GulfOfBothnia

Thank for posts. I'm not annoyed if thread does not get answers ...it was just my humour.

If I ever end up trying this I would buy a C5 gear cover.
So I do not need to care of the cover dimensions.

Also I was thinking the option to get somewhere unused (never riveted) shafts.
For sure Abu has them but will they sell??
I was inspired by another thread here where it turned out that you can get anti-reverse posts to build traditional anti-reverse to an IAR reel.

It's nothing else but an effort to save some € or $ if you could do these yourself. For me there is a long dark winter ahead ...to do things. Maybe it is also that I want to try new things. Like to do handcraft.

Ken_D

Hi. To do this freehand is a real chore, with a lot of life-force expended. With tooling, it becomes very easy.  In reality, it's easier just to buy one already done up from the 5 or 6 max-X.

Rudementary tools would be a socket acting as a support/pass-by, dremel or other rotary tool, drift punch, and a pencil soldering tool, with lots of flux, and 50-50 solder.

Grind flange off gear/worm mating point, place gear on socket, punch worm past, modify worm for bearing, and reverse the prodecure as you solder the gear back on to the worm.

Alto Mare

I think that you guys have to much time on your hands  :-\. Just my opinion.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

dgspec

...may be for your interest: there are conversion parts available to upgrade certain ambassadeur's wormgears with BBs.

Have a look here
"a life without a dog is a fallacy" c.zuckmayer

Ken_D

Quote from: GulfOfBothnia on September 21, 2011, 05:50:07 PM
Also I was thinking the option to get somewhere unused (never riveted) shafts.

For sure Abu has them but will they sell??

Hi....From memory, I know that the mag/ultramag run of reels use un-geared worm gears, but I cannot recall the the specs....where the cuts are, distances on ends between worm parts, etc.  You'd need to have a poster  who owns, or knows all about these reels, return with specs, or just buy a worm for a mag reel, and compare. They made UM's from size 1 up to size 6.

But then where do you get the brass end-cog gear !!!  You could get all the free ones you want, if you work a deal with your local abu repair outlet, where the customer does not want the dead parts back.  

Mag 1-2-3 would be roughly the same as a 4500, 5500, and 6500.  http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/ULTRAMAGXLIII%2084-2.PDF

GulfOfBothnia

Thanks for all posts here.
Not tried this yet.
Just ordered ready made kit.

But maybe I will try some day...