What do you do when the eccentric guide breaks on a sideplate

Started by Bryan Young, January 28, 2019, 08:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Well, no new sideplate was available so drill, tapped and screw in a new guide.  My Bradah Alan has some doubts but it worked out great.

This is on one of the many beaten charter boat reels that I had received from Alaska for servicing (repair).  Two boxes down, 2 more to go.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

That looks great to me Bryan.
I have made many repairs like yours and you have to do what you have available.
Kudos to you sir. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

I think you did really good, it should actually be better. I'm not sure why Penn never used a metal pin there, I had to do the same on a couple of large Senators in the past.

Shouldn't be telling the master this, but you should make the tip on that spring flush with the eccentric ;D

It is always a good idea, since it rides against the Jack, but not necessary on larger reels, as the 4/0 and up.

Very good Bri-Bri!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

Looks like a good fix to me as well Bryan - thanks for sharing, it gives us another trick up our sleeve.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Just noticed the eccentric says 114...scratch my comment above, I thought I would finally be one up on you ;D.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

How is it that these things break, anyway? I've seen a few now.... Does the mechanism somehow jam and then the operator forces the shift lever? I've seen the eccentric jack move a little sideways at times, especially when that little tab from the spring that Sal pointed out contacts the jack, but I don't remember that happening in the 114/h, which I think is what Sal was alluding to in his second post immediately above..... part of this story has not yet been revealed.....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Gfish

Sounds probable Sid, or maybe suddenly pushin it into gear with the spool a spinnin. Looks better than ever Brian. Why replace a head-plate for somethin like that?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Reel 224

Your lucky the stand was still there. I recently work on a 112 that was sheered flush with the inside of the plate.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dominick

Nice job Bryan.  I would have built up the plate with JB Epoxy before drilling and tapping.  Let's hope it holds up.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Darin Crofton

Great job, Bryan, I'm sure this will help many others in the future, thanks!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Shark Hunter

I had a 10/0 Senator that came like that Bryan.
It was broken off pretty bad. I cut it off flush and put a bolt through it. It turned out pretty well.
Life is Good!

Frank

Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Benni3

Quote from: Dominick on January 28, 2019, 09:08:25 PM
Nice job Bryan.  I would have built up the plate with JB Epoxy before drilling and tapping.  Let's hope it holds up.  Dominick
auto body ,,,, :) you run into this problem,,,, ??? 3m panel bond it's 10 times stronger than jb,,,,but it takes 3hr to set up and then you can sand it to any shape,,,down side is it $38 for 6.75oz,,,,  ;) but I think you did a fantastic job with out it,,,, ;D