What's the limit for the newer C3 Ambassadeurs? Share your story..

Started by Mrc70, January 30, 2019, 09:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrc70

Hi everyone,

I used a C3 5500 for almost 30 years for local inshore saltwater here in San Diego... until one day while catching calico bass in the kelp, Mr. FAT Yellowtail grabbed my fly-lined sardine  :o   I fought the fish for a couple minutes until it made a huge run into the kelp and basically destroyed my reel.  The ant-reverse failed and needless to say, I lost the fish.  A few anglers hooked up at the same time and only one guy landed his fish.. a 25-30lb yellowtail.    Anyway, I really liked using that reel for smaller fish, so I am wondering: are the newer C3 Ambassadeurs with the Carbon drags able to land such a fish?  Or, does the lack of cranking power relegate the reel to smaller species?   ???

What's the biggest fish you have landed on your C3??  Did you upgrade the reel in any way?  Looking forward to replies. 

thorhammer

Have caught stripers to 20lbs on stock 6500C and seen a 30lb cobia caught from a pier- THAT was impressive. whether the reel was toast after I couldn't say.

Keta

20#-25# albacore on my C4s but they have a AR dogs, AR bearings and Carbonetx washers.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelhead_killer

Caught a 5 foot black tip shark surf fishing at Cape Canaveral beach with a 6500 C3.  50lb braid with a 50lb mono shock leader.  Took some time but it did the job.
><)))">

oc1

There was a time when the cool thing was to catch tarpon and smoker kings on the 5000.  A lot of fish were broken off, but I don't recall an AR failing.  The 5000 had a dog instead of the roller bearing though.

I'm sorry you had a problem, but am glad to know it wasn't the C3 spool axel that failed.  I think a spool axel is better than a spool shaft but can't figure out why everyone doesn't do it that way.
-steve

nelz

Quote from: oc1 on January 31, 2019, 08:18:58 AMThere was a time when the cool thing was to catch tarpon and smoker kings on the 5000.  A lot of fish were broken off, but I don't recall an AR failing.  The 5000 had a dog instead of the roller bearing though.

Wow, can't imagine that teeny-tiny 5000 drag not disintegrating on a big tarpon or king.

steelfish

wow guys you have really nice records on those skinny abu reels

my best is a fat triggerfish of 5 or 6# on a 6500c3  ::) ::) and it was quite fight  ;D ;D

The Baja Guy

Mrc70

Quote from: thorhammer on January 30, 2019, 10:02:30 PM
Have caught stripers to 20lbs on stock 6500C and seen a 30lb cobia caught from a pier- THAT was impressive. whether the reel was toast after I couldn't say.

This is crazy!  Awesome, but crazy!

Mrc70

My best fish on my 5500 C3 was a 21lb lingcod...but a 21lb lingcod is nothing compared to a 21lb yellowtail !

Quote from: nelz on January 31, 2019, 01:52:11 PM
Quote from: oc1 on January 31, 2019, 08:18:58 AMThere was a time when the cool thing was to catch tarpon and smoker kings on the 5000.  A lot of fish were broken off, but I don't recall an AR failing.  The 5000 had a dog instead of the roller bearing though.

Wow, can't imagine that teeny-tiny 5000 drag not disintegrating on a big tarpon or king.

I've caught snook over 20# and tarpon to 35# on my 4500C's.  Not a C3, I prefer not to have an instant anti reverse.  From a yak, spool capacity wasn't an issue but I never thought the drag was "teeny-tiny".

Donnyboat

I caught a 15Kg shark on my 5000, it has two drag dogs & CF drag washers, the shark took almost all the line on the first run 140 M, I landed him in about 20 minutes, I am still using it & it is operating real good, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

drumbum

I've beat a  5' blacktip from a pier with a custom 6500 built around a round bar ct frame and '83 guts, loaded w/17#bg + 50# shocker.

After a couple of strong runs and multiple jumps I was able to regain the 175yds he tried to steal, with some scrambling up and back down the pier (GSP).

Once whooped, both fish and myself, I cut the leader and watched him swim off lazily as I put rod back in the cart. Shortly after as the crowd dispersed, I though I heard a weird noise.

Quick investigation revealed the spool succumbed to the mono pressure, cracked and separated at the brake side before I could catch my breath and retie some lead to cast back out to reload line.

Fixed spool, but eventually replaced with NOS.

Never caught the name of that man in the gray suit to give him the bill. ;)

Fishy247

I got a 60# bat ray on my 5000. Only upgrade I had in it was CF drags. It still seems to be holding up ok!

Mike

nelz

Quote from: 0119 on February 01, 2019, 11:48:55 AMI've caught snook over 20# and tarpon to 35# on my 4500C's.  Not a C3, I prefer not to have an instant anti reverse.  From a yak, spool capacity wasn't an issue but I never thought the drag was "teeny-tiny".

I was referring to the drag on the old red 5000 Abu's, two very small disks.