900H Double Dog Bridge

Started by xjchad, January 31, 2019, 08:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Darin sent me some reels to beef up and I started with the two big guns.  Daiwa 900H's that'll get Stainless sleeves, Adam's insert kits, and Stainless double dogs.
Here's what I came up with for the dogs.  Just thought I'd share in case it helped anyone else with their projects.

The spring is .029" stainless steel wire.
The dog is a modified stock dog.
The screw is a stainless steel shoulder screw.  I know it's not double sheer, but the combination of the thick bridge plate, good thread engagement, and the shoulder of the screw tightened against the plate should make for a very strong design.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Rothmar2

Very nice, got a 600H in for a client, and was pondering something similar. Thanks for sharing.

Swami805

Looks really strong Chad, nice work.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

Looks good Chad, I like the idea of running the wire spring through a hole in the bridge to locate it.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Army_of_One

This is what I'm trying to figure out with a 600H.  Did you have to mill the sideplate any?
Another day in Paradise!

xjchad

Quote from: Army_of_One on January 31, 2019, 11:33:15 PM
This is what I'm trying to figure out with a 600H.  Did you have to mill the sideplate any?

Yes, I did have to remove some aluminum from the side plate.  It's not too bad though.  I'll try to get a picture tonight.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Reel 224

Nice innovation, looks like it was made that way.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Darin Crofton

Amazing work my friend, you the Man!!!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

excellent job bud.

I though a 900H was a big reel, until getting the penn 12/0 thats a huge reel.

The Baja Guy

Army_of_One

Quote from: xjchad on January 31, 2019, 11:35:14 PM
Quote from: Army_of_One on January 31, 2019, 11:33:15 PM

Yes, I did have to remove some aluminum from the side plate.  It's not too bad though.  I'll try to get a picture tonight.
I'd like to know your steps if you don't mind.  I've test fitted a 113H dog on the 600H bridge plate screw and it fits/engages the sleeve.  I don't know how to go about milling the aluminum on the side plate though.  What you have done looks legit and I really hope it functions as perfect as it looks.  :)
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

Great work on that Chad.
I have several 600 and 900H reels.
They are well built.
The double dogging of those gets a little involved.
Mine just have single dogs, stainless sleeves and Bryan's drag kit.
Makes a pretty impressive combo.
Life is Good!

sdlehr

Quote from: xjchad on January 31, 2019, 11:35:14 PMI'll try to get a picture tonight.
Interested in seeing the picture, Chad!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector