Serious issue encountered with 112H double dog bridge!!

Started by rscotth, February 02, 2019, 03:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Uh did you even try the suggestion of switching the dogs ???

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

handi2

I'm pretty sure you cant switch the dogs. I found 2 new ones in the package today. I dont know how long ago I purchased them.  I will check them out to see if they show the same problem.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Ok guys, here is what happened...I screwed up!

I was told by Alan to position the new holes on a Jigmaster bridge and I think I did a pretty good on that.
Afterwards I was asked to check for functionality while using the same dogs, that's were I screwed up at.

I think I know what happened, while testing the dogs, they were working just fine, but I never realized I had the plate on freespool.

As rscotth has mentioned there is definitely a problem...thanks rscotth for discovering this problem. You are correct, the second dog is impossible to see and you can only depend on your ears.

Mo, thanks to you as well, you came very close on finding what the issue was and did it quickly.

Many different issues were interfering with the new dog, so I decided a different location would be best.

Here is a very short video that will show what's going on:

I was able to bend the dog with very little effort

you could see how much I was able to get without damages to the dog

that gave me plenty of clearance

but then I discovered another issue, the tip of the jack was making contact with the dog when in gear.
I'm showing it in red

This made the 2 dogs work nicely, but when assembled, I discovered the yoke , by the spring was pressing on the new dog and causing it not to function. I could have fixed it with shims, but didn't think it would be the best solution.

So, here you have it.

After 3 hours of trying to find a good solution I came up with this, but it will be up to Alan on how he wants to go about it.

I decided to use 2 of the same dogs and it is working good.

Shaving of the plate is minimum with this second dog.
I have it marked in red, the blue circle shows that that area doesn't need to be touched.

Sorry for screwing this one up Alan and my fellow members.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

A likely easy fix would be just to send out a properly modified and new dog —

Anyone who can drop in a new bridge — can easily switch out a dog.

These SS dogs are strong enough to be a little thinner where needed.

Don't be concerned, Sal —

If all of your screwups were added together — they likely wouldn't add up to 10% of the ones that I admit to.

Plus, think of all we have learned...

I appreciate all you do, Sal.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

I nominate rscotth to be a recipient of the AT wrench award for his input.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 02, 2019, 10:36:25 PM
I discovered another issue, the tip of the jack was making contact with the dog when in gear.

I had a feeling that jack would hit also when in gear, but without an actual bridge here, I couldn't check. I like your fix Sal, it pulls the dog out of the danger zone.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on February 02, 2019, 10:56:53 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on February 02, 2019, 10:36:25 PM
I discovered another issue, the tip of the jack was making contact with the dog when in gear.

I had a feeling that jack would hit also when in gear, but without an actual bridge here, I couldn't check. I like your fix Sal, it pulls the dog out of the danger zone.

Thank you Mo, yes that's what I thought. As you know, things always look easy afterwards, the problem is always with getting there.

You are a pretty knowledgeable guy when it comes to this type of stuff, Mo,  so if you or anyone else has a better suggestion on positionong the dogs please share.
I'm just a volunteer for the Alan Tani site, unfortunately this one got away, not that I was expecting to use the same dogs as a jigmaster, but it is what it is now.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

swill88

Thank you Sal!  But,

My only complaint is your video needs a little Verdi or Puccini soundtrack. 

Please fix that!

steve

handi2

Thanks Sal. I will check the 2 113H DD bridges I found yesterday. I also found 2 Penn Torque 25 reels NIB that were in another box. Way up high where my Daiwa parts box was.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Fishy247

Well shoot, I can't see the pictures...I'll have to try again when I get home. I'd like to see this fix.

Benni3

Quote from: swill88 on February 02, 2019, 11:42:29 PM

Thank you Sal!  But,

Please fix that!

steve

marvin Gaye,,,what's going on,,,,,, ;D

foakes

Quote from: swill88 on February 02, 2019, 11:42:29 PM

Thank you Sal!  But,

Please fix that!

steve

Hey Steve —

How about a little CCR — "Commotion".

Or John Prine doing — "Angel That Flies from Montgomery"...

👍👍👍😀😀😀

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jurelometer

Don't know if this will help, but Abel fly reels use a pin on the dog to hold the spring in place.   This allows for a smaller area on the dog to hold the spring, even when it is not perfectly aligned.    Maybe extend the tip a bit too, and fix the engagement angle so it is flush with the ratchet,   Just an idea.  I don't have a 112h and Tom's 112h sideplates to actually try anything.

-J

Alto Mare

Good to hear your input Dave, I also thought about a pin at the very end of the dog as you're showing, But didn't think there is enough room there to make it functional. I'm showing the available space from the edge of the yoke to the dog with the blue arrows.
Also, the jack will still need to be modified, as I'm showing with the red arrow.

Where I placed the second dog it is actually better than original, the only problem is that it might not work in Tom's plate.

The way I'm showing will be no problem with stock plates.

Alan will need to make his decision on how he wants to go with these, I wanted too give him as many ideas as we could, but options are limited

Thank you Dave!

Sal

Darin Crofton

I'm just grateful there's many great minds in here to combat any issues that come up with our reels and upgrades, thank you all!!!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?