Bail wire and springs

Started by JeffG, February 05, 2019, 10:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffG

Hi all! Trying my hand at a complete tear down and rebuild on a very rough 331. All went well until the bail spring. Is there an order or position to start so you're not destroying the spring? Was doing so well till then. Have had issues with others I've bought and pieced back together.

Thanks
Jeff

Midway Tommy

Disconnect the bail and roller from the ail arm. Most people try to take a short cut by not taking them apart. That short cut almost always leads to ruined bail springs and actually takes longer than taking them apart and putting them back together. Install the spring and bail arm. Then install the bail and opposite side bail plate. You'll have to wedge or hold the bail trip lever back to position the bail to connect it to the bail arm. Make sure you check the bail for correct alignment before tightening the nut. You may have to bend the bail a little for optimum fit. The bail roller stud should line up perfectly, without tension, with the hole in the bail arm prior to inserting it into the hole and installing the nut.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Tommy is sure right on about trying to install a spring without disconnecting the bail wire and roller first.

When I  joined this site about a year and a half ago I had never changed a bail spring.  LOL, I had lots of trouble because I was attempting to install the bail arm backwards.  And I was also intimidated trying to bend the bail wire for correct alignment.  Now it's very simple.

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 05, 2019, 11:37:05 PM
Disconnect the bail and roller from the ail arm. Most people try to take a short cut by not taking them apart. That short cut almost always leads to ruined bail springs and actually takes longer than taking them apart and putting them back together. Install the spring and bail arm. Then install the bail and opposite side bail plate. You'll have to wedge or hold the bail trip lever back to position the bail to connect it to the bail arm. Make sure you check the bail for correct alignment before tightening the nut. You may have to bend the bail a little for optimum fit. The bail roller stud should line up perfectly, without tension, with the hole in the bail arm prior to inserting it into the hole and installing the nut.

Tommy is exactly right, of course.  Install the bail spring and arm without the bail wire first...

And this is the easiest and best way for most spinners with the traditional coil bail springs — DQ, Mitchell, Shakes, Penn, old Daiwas, as well as most older discontinued spinners.

Since bails do protrude from the reel body and rotor — they are subject to being slightly tweaked or bent over the years.  Easy to fix though.  Always start with the bail arm to make sure it is square and aligned.  Then check the bail wire visually to make sure there are no issues.  Then check the return snap action to make sure it is crisp, and there is no binding or friction anywhere.  A small adjustment will usually cure these issues.

Another thing — most good spinners have a reverse release ability on the bail assembly.  This allows us to release the pressure on the bail spring when not in use.  Spring will last forever — and be less prone to getting caught on the lawnmower or tailgate.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JeffG

Thanks guys! Never thought of that and even had it separated. Only gets easier when you're shown the ropes!

Thanks
Jeff