Price of ringing new hooks

Started by Ron Jones, February 06, 2019, 04:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Quote from: jurelometer on May 31, 2022, 01:01:26 AMbut the solder always sticks to the stainless.

Stainless can be difficult because it will lay down a shielding layer of oxidation faster than something like copper, brass or bronze.  But, you are obliged to use a larger diametr wire with the softer metals and that quickly becomes impractical. 

gstours

Possibly getting enough heat in a small spot quickly is the solution?  Small butane torches may not provide the intensity of heat needed.  As I struggled with this problem it became apparent that you need to see some red colors before adding the filler wire.
  Maybe testing a practice ring with no flux, just looking at the joint colors will tell you about the heat temperatures.  You should see red or not enough heat is being in the ring at both sides of the joint.
  If you're good with red testing.  Add flux after re cleaning with a wire brush or sand paper  and try to solder.  The flux will form a quick crust with the heat but this protects its clean integrity.   
  Map gas is generally used when common propane is not sufficient in heavier guage materials.  It's quite easy to find at better hardware stores.   Some propane torches produce more heat than others so compare btu output claims.
  If you have access to acetylene/oxygen torches for welding it can produce more than enough heat quickly in a small area and maybe it the best heat source.   Butt not really the tool worth buying just for rings.    :cf

handi2

I would use only silver solder. A small jewelers torch may get the base ring metal hot enough. The silver solder will be strong

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oc1

One of these with oxygen and propane would work.

1/5/24 edit:: link is busted, but it was for a Meco Midget Torch.   However, their price has gone through the roof now and cannot be justified for soldering rings.

Here's a cheap one:
https://www.amazon.com/Oxygen-Acetylene-Butane-Welding-Jewelry/dp/B09J1Y21H6/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1JV1I002B6KEN&keywords=jeweler+torch&qid=1704518036&sprefix=jeweler+torch%2Caps%2C243&sr=8-5

Bryan Young

Resurrecting this old thread. Thanks to PJ, I finally got the kits completed. The kit includes

Case
3-position Brazing Stand
At least 50 of each jump ring per size
~0.5 oz of 0.5 mm Ag56Sn custom diameter brazing wire
~0.5 oz of 0.75 mm Ag56Sn custom diameter brazing wire
2 Oz container of black brazing flux
1 Oz container of white brazing flux
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Bryan's stands are first class, o love mine.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Crab Pot

How much Bryan?

Not sure I trust my brazing skills though...

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

pjstevko

Bryan the kit looks great and I can't wait to get/use it..

Quick question.... I'm assuming I would use the skinnier wire on the smaller rings and the thicker wire for larger gaps.... is that correct?

What determines which flux to use?

PJ

Keta

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Crab Pot on January 05, 2024, 11:40:53 PMHow much Bryan?

Not sure I trust my brazing skills though...

Steve

$100 including shipping in USA.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Quote from: pjstevko on January 06, 2024, 01:30:57 AMBryan the kit looks great and I can't wait to get/use it..

Quick question.... I'm assuming I would use the skinnier wire on the smaller rings and the thicker wire for larger gaps.... is that correct?

What determines which flux to use?

PJ

Your assumption is correct PJ. Smaller wire use thinner brazing wire. Also use white lower temperature flux for smaller wire jump rings. I use a toothpick to apply the flux to the joint of the jump ring. Not much more is needed.

pjstevko

My kit arrived yesterday and all I can say is WOW!!!! It's the nicest, most complete kit I have ever seen. The brazing station that Bryan included is worth the price all by itself. There's more rings in the kit than 3-4 people could ever use.

Bryan thanks again for the kit and I can't wait to put it to good use

PJ

jtwill98

I would like to see a sample result of what a "ringing new hooks" look like.  I'm not an off-shore person so I am intrigued. Please post some photos of you efforts and process, if possible.   

Keta

Here is photos of destructive testing.

>175# should work.

Mark Twain