Avet Jx 6/3 question

Started by SevenYearsDown, February 12, 2019, 12:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SevenYearsDown

This reel was recently handed down to me by my uncle, and I decided to apply some new oil/grease and give it a good clean. Everything went well it seems, followed the schematic and videos online and I didn't dismantle the whole right plate, just added a bit of grease to the gears and cleaned the drag setting knob. Now is it normal for the spool to spin, on free spool, if I turn the handle? It doesn't spin instantly but it does slowly start to spin. Is this normal or not? This is my first avet.

alantani

it will spin a little.  if you still have freespool, don't worry.  if you have totally lost freespool, then there is something out of order. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

AJ

My JX 6/3 spool does not spin when I turn the handle.  It is very easy to get something just a bit off, I usually need to re-assemble my JX MX and SX's more than once to get it right.

I assemble the spool to the right side plate and that way I can check for free spool, etc. before I install everything in the frame.  YMMV.

SevenYearsDown

Thanks for all the replies. Before opening it up I do remember that it does not spin when turning the handle on free spool. I will give it another try later.

alantani

it's possible that the return spring is touching the shield of the right spool bearing. 

SevenYearsDown

That was it! The spring was touching it, I doubled the washer under neath it instead of putting one on top. Thank you for that, I have gathered so much info here. It's super helpful specially for someone like me who is not the best at putting back things together.  ;D

alantani

you know, normally that is never a problem!!!!   ;D