Hard for Me to Pass up a Good Old Fenwick

Started by foakes, February 14, 2019, 06:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Don't know if I will ever use this — but I seldom pass up a good older Fenwick — if the price is decent.

We are over at Pacific Grove for 4 days — been going through a couple of old second hand warehouses.

Found an old chocolate brown Fenwick PT809 6' 8", 30-80 lb rod with hypolon and roller guides, in very good condition —33 oz. for 2 to 10 oz. lures.  Price was $31.50.

Same guy had a Penn 114H in very good to possibly close to unused condition for $345! — passed on that one.  Guess he must have broken up the set — and marked one at maybe 1/3 of its typical price (the rod) — then marked the reel at 4 times its typical price.

But if someone buys it — that is good for him.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Nice! Love those old Fenwick's. Seem's like a good 4/0 size rod. How's the weather in usually windy Pac. Grove?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Rainy & Windy — yesterday, so many giant old Cypress trees went down across Power lines — that we have been without electricity at the Inn for over 24hours.  Nice wood fireplace in our room though.

Expected forecast is for rain and wind today — through late tomorrow.

We will be heading back home tomorrow afternoon to 100% snow forecast up where we live.

No big deal — we are prepared and ready for whatever happens here — as well as at home.

My wife just pointed out the amount of folks that seem to be getting frustrated at the situations — they are all on their iPhones — and wondering why there is no APP to immediately handle these situations of Nature.

She also pointed out that up where we live in the Sierras — the folks are capable, and more patient — knowing that they could handle nearly any issue — or their neighbors would have the knowledge, experience, and equipment to just take care of business.  Not too many BMW's or Lexus's over here have winches or chainsaws on board...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Fred, you stole that Fenwick.  I have one like that that I paid $300 for at Minerva's in Cabo.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

El Pescador

Fred!

If you want an approved AT.com field tester to pull on the your killer deal Fenwick, I would BE MORE than thankful to hand carry the rod to Cabo & pull hard on it against wahoo, schoolie Tuna & monster Roosterfish!  Just offering!!

@ SFO & minutes from wheels up & headed for JFK NYC.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

David Hall

I too have a soft spot for those old fenwicks. Very nice score, I paid at least 3 times that price for an old two piece salmon rod. 

Ron Jones

My favorite of favorites. Grew up fishin noting but those, Penns and Mitchel 300s.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

You did good my friend! I have a few in my collection as well, but can't say I paid the same :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

1badf350

I raise my hand as being yet another Fenwick fan especially the brown ones.  I collect mostly the 600 series big game rods and the PS series surf rods .
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

theswimmer

What a steal !
My favorite rods are both Fenwicks .
Plow just went thru Fred. , Been raining and now we have about an inch of fresh snow on top .
Bet the surf is huge .......
Safe travels my good friend 😎
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Donnyboat

Nice fenwick Fred, good deal, stay safe mate, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

steelfish

Quote from: foakes on February 14, 2019, 06:58:19 PM

Found an old chocolate brown Fenwick PT809 6' 8", 30-80 lb rod with hypolon and roller guides, in very good condition —33 oz. for 2 to 10 oz. lures.  Price was $31.50.
Fred

great find Fred, pretty sure the guy just mix matched the amount and the real amount was $315.00 not $31.50
that would be a great rod for your high sierra trouts  :P

The Baja Guy

Benni3