Penn 320 GTI - Main gear grinding

Started by retiredandfishing, February 15, 2019, 10:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

So had to pry open a Penn GTi 320.  Spool bearings stuck in place.  Thought I got away with minimal damage but now find I have a problem.  I've replaced both spool bearings, the yoke as well as the idler gears and the main and pinion gears as well as the spindle/spool. But, when I test the drag with tension on the line it seems the main and pinion gears grind when I try and reel.  If I leave drag on but put no tension on the line it reels pretty well although has a little noise. 

I am into this for parts as the reel was given to me, but now it is a challenge I don't want to let go of but don't want to continue buying parts either.  LOL

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

alantani

usually when a new main and pinion start grinding, it's because they are out of alignment, and usually the misalignment is cause by a crunchy bearing or a seriously mangled bridge.  not sure about the cause in this case.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

Several things can cause the gears to grind. Unfortunately when that happens, you need to replace both the main and the pinion gear. I go through lots in the shop, mostly on reels that were fished with heavy drag for halibut.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

handi2

Shoot me a PM. I have some parts or you.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

retiredandfishing

Quote from: alantani on February 15, 2019, 11:56:33 PM
usually when a new main and pinion start grinding, it's because they are out of alignment, and usually the misalignment is cause by a crunchy bearing or a seriously mangled bridge.  not sure about the cause in this case.   :-\

Thanks Alan.  I replaced the bearing initially.  Was thinking it might be the bridge.    So I'll replace that too. I'm in to it this far might as well go all the way. 

retiredandfishing

Wanted to complete this reel problem and share what I found.  So, this reel lay in my shop for months.  Could not figure out why the main gear seemed to grind, even though I had a new bridge and bearing (thank you Keith), new main gear and new pinion gear.  Kept playing with it then took a closer look at the new main gear under my new lighted magnifying glass, it had a bevel on the main gear on the front.  I thought I had read somewhere that Penn changed the design on the main and pinion gear, where the new main gear has no bevel on the front side.  So I did a little research and found that, that was true and that the old main design and new pinion will not work together or vice versa either.  So I ordered another set from another supplier and the reel works great.

Nice to finally figure it all out and thanks to all for the help.  Have a nice 321GTi back in operation now for bottom fishing.

Steve

handi2

Steve I just replied to your PM for parts. I need to be sure of the reel number. Is it a 320 or 321? The 321 you crank with your left hand.

Thanks Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL