Penn fishing in South Africa

Started by CapeFish, February 16, 2019, 06:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeFish

Shark Hunter

Thank You for sharing that.
That is the type of fishing I live for.
Those Bronzie's seem to be a hearty species.
The Slammer is no joke.
I am going to have to upgrade to that 8500.
Congrats on the catch and release.
That is how you do it. ;)
Go Penn!
Life is Good!

RowdyW

Darin, I thought you already upgraded beyond an 8500 with that big Quantum spinner. Also the BG 8500 is about the same size as the Penn 8500. You still have to try them out.            Rudy

CapeFish

I picked up one the other day also but with a Shimano multiplier  :)

Shark Hunter

Quote from: RowdyW on February 16, 2019, 08:56:55 AM
Darin, I thought you already upgraded beyond an 8500 with that big Quantum spinner. Also the BG 8500 is about the same size as the Penn 8500. You still have to try them out.            Rudy
I do Rudy, but The Slammer 3 is in a class of its own.
Life is Good!

Donnyboat

thanks Capefish, you say the sharks are on the bite, this time of the year, what schools of fish do they follow over there, this time of the year, we start to get salmon migrating up the West coast of Australia this time of the year, the sharks are generally after them, thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Cor

Quote from: Donnyboat on February 17, 2019, 01:51:51 AM
thanks Capefish, you say the sharks are on the bite, this time of the year, what schools of fish do they follow over there, this time of the year, we start to get salmon migrating up the West coast of Australia this time of the year, the sharks are generally after them, thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
I fished WA (Carnarvon to Exmouth) on two occasions, stunning quantities and variety of fish.   On both occasions the Bronzies there were an absolute plague, very large and it was just impossible to land any but the smallest of fish in one piece.

Great place though!
Cornelis

CapeFish

Yellowtail, atlantic bonito, mackerel and squid are here in summer and also rays. They probably come after them because a bonito head or a yellow tail head is one of the best baits to use. The bronzies are not here in winter allthough some say they are just in deeper water. Perhaps not all of them migrate, a lot certainly do move up the coast with the winter sardines that becomes the annual sardine run spectacle. There's a heck of a lot we still don't know about the sea, all the great whites have just disappeared from the area.  Or perhaps scientists need to spend more time talking to old fishermen they probably know a lot what is going on.

AC49

There was an article on our local radio station Cape Talk which I summarised ...

Shark-eating killer whales lurking in Cape Town's waters
5 February 2019 5:30 PM
Wildlife researchers have confirmed that there is a new, super predator roaming in Cape Town's coastline - shark-eating killer whales.
Marine biologist Tamlyn Engelbrecht says the killer whale is mainly targeting broadnose sevengill sharks in False Bay.
Researchers have identified that the super predator is, in fact, a killer whale by analysing the wound patterns during necropsies performed on the carcasses.
There's been a dramatic decrease in white shark spotting in False Bay, both in the summer months inshore, and over winter at Seal Island.
Shark Spotters recorded an all-time low number of white shark sightings across the eight beaches they operate on in Cape Town during the 2017/18 summer season.
There has, however, been a surprising increase in the number of bronze whaler sharks frequenting the inshore zone over this period.
While the killer whales seem to have a sporadic presence in False Bay, Engelbrecht says there has been a notable increase since 2015.
In False Bay we've had a couple of incidents where broadnose sevengill sharks have been clearly targeted by killer whales.
We've seen very clear bite marks on the sharks that point to killer whales... They definitely have arrived.
Engelbrecht says the number of killer whales coming in and out the bay has been on the rise since 2009.
It's interesting that since 2015, we've now seen the arrival of this new subgroup of killer whales that seems to have a taste for sharks.

Regards
AC49

Cor

Probably not the right forum for a discussion of fishing in False Bay, but nevertheless interesting in a general sense.
I have fished False bay extensively since 1962 and never even saw or heard of a Killer Whale being spotted in the Bay.   The late Barrie Rose told me he once saw a pod on the East side of the Bay many moons ago from a boat and once on a tuna trip about 35 miles offshore.

For the first time I saw Killer whales at Rooikrans on 2 occasions during 2016 and once during 2017 and there were reports of more sightings deep in the Bay.    All I saw had "floppy" fins.

At first I doubted the reports of the Orka attacking Great Whites, and only taking the liver, but now accept that it probably is correct!

The shark tourism at Dyer Island has been negatively effected by the decline in Great white sharks.

Cornelis

Dominick

I say this lightly, but not too lightly.  Wouldn't it be fun to use sharks for bait and target Orcas???  Seriously think about it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Killer Whales are just that.
They didn't get that name for being shy.
The true top Predator of the Seven Seas.
A pack of them can take down anything. The largest Great White is no match.
They are smart and the true pack Killers of the Deep.
Dominick, I don't think there is a rod and reel on this earth up to that task.
They are smart like dolphins and I think they would eat you in an instant if they knew what you were up to, much less bite a hook.
I will keep fishing for the Dumb Sharks.
It is safer. ;)
My Last Name is Dyer, and I will take this as a warning from Dyer Island.
The Ancestors before me made dyes, I dont want to Die.
Not like that! I'm going to have Nightmares Now!!!!!

Life is Good!

Cor

Some info for Mr Dyer..... :D

34°41'2.77"S  19°24'53.12"E

http://www.sharkwatchsa.com/en/the-area/dive-area/

I tried to upload a .kmz file but was not allowed.
Cornelis

Lunker Larry

The Killer Whale only eats the liver out of the shark and leaves the rest.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?