Banks Run 02-17

Started by Tightlines667, February 18, 2019, 07:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Nice weather window, and good day yesterday (3 Stripers, 3 Mahi) so we decided to try for a repeat today on The Sea Bum. Bob, Jay, his son Alex, Auston, Javi, my coworker Morgan, and myself climbed aboard and pushed off at 0600hrs. Yesterday they lost an Ahi just outside the headbouy at first light, today as soon as we set the baits we got bit by a Mahi. Worked the area out front a bit and took a solid hit on the longrigger. Hook pulled during first run (nick in leader, and clean cut bait spell likely Ono). Worked out to the Diamondhead pinnacle. Found a bird pile, lone Mahi bite on center missed the hook. Birds broke apart, worked out towards Penguin, and hooked a Striped Marlin on the center. After 3 or 4 jumps he throw the hook. No more bites in the area, ran Penguin down and caught a Mahi. Found a bird pile back at diamondhead, took 2 hits and landed a small Aku. Set out an experimental bait short and as soon as the reel was put in gear a big Mahi piled on it and jumped out of the water throwing the hook. Fished the ledge back with no more hits. We managed some action today, but didn't do a great job dropping the dinks back on the pickup and consequently ended up with a poor hookup ratio (2 for 8 bites). These baits get bit, but do require some attention to hook the fish.

Still, great way to spend a Sunday, and we got some fresh fish for dinner.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

Glad you are getting out and enjoying the good life.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.