Not your everyday Alvey

Started by gstours, February 18, 2019, 05:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As I,m waiting for the weather to improve I noticed a project reel on a rod in my hobby room.
     It's a great reel for my salmon trolling lack of style.   Generally I use it for Silver salmon pulling a deep six diver.   The drag washers were replaced with greased carbon fiber, and boasts plenty of smooth drag, and has improved north West style crank knobs.   Very well made,  it's a part of history.
   This model alvey had a free spool lever and loud clicker.   It's kinda an old clunker butt still goes out every year and provides me with entertainment and food.   

gstours

This reel has an unusually large diameter spool that gains line fast when the fish charge the boat.   It's just another fun toy.   Every time I get a fish on it I feel like a grampa. :)

Penn Chronology

The Alveys have some very ancient history. Been around a long time. I have a small Bakelite Alvey from the 1940's and I believe before they were Bakelite they were made of wood. Their frames have also moved from stainless steel to brass after the war, back to stainless steel again. Very interesting reels.

Tiddlerbasher

I picked up an Alvey Snapper reel many moons ago - bit of an impulse buy - never used it.
It looks like bakerlite (or a plastic imitation :-\) and stainless. Never stripped it but it seems functional.
Looks very similar to your salmon reel (different knobs) Gary - 6 ins diameter.

oldmanjoe

:)  I still enjoy take the old timers out fishing also.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Donnyboat

Yes Gary & also Chris, the models you to have, are made for boat work such as trawling or bottom bouncing, the centre pin is very strong, & would handle a very strong drag, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat