Possible to have a manual trip bail for 704z?

Started by SevenYearsDown, February 19, 2019, 09:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SevenYearsDown

Among the reels that was given to me is an old Penn 704z. I have cleaned it up following the guide in this site and I fished it last weekend. One issue I did notice is when I cast hard the bail automatically closes, I guess from the handle or spool moving and it jerks the lure and line, lost 2 weight and hooks because of this. Any guides in how to make it manual close only? Thank you.

cmdrzog

There is a manual p/u conversion available part 69-704.  Bail gone your finger picks up the line.  Works flawlessly.  Bail who needs a bail.

foakes

Yep,

$18.25 at Mystic Parts, on our site.

It also works on a DAM Quick 550.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Before you resort to a manual pickup, which, BTW, isn't all that bad for surf casting, did you check the bail trip arm, bail plate notch and/or trip arm under spring for wear? One or more of those is usually the culprit for excessive bail closing during the cast.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

George6308

If keeping the bail change out the two bail springs. Never had a problem with bail closing with my two 704's.

Alto Mare

You might also want to make sure as you open the bail, the line roller sits a little to the right side of the rod.
If you go too far to the left, the bail will snap as you cast.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

creekwader

Hello, I am very new to the site and I have a similar question for a Daiwa RG200H-AB spinning reel.  When I cast with some enthusiasm, I have noticed that the bail will sometimes snap closed mid-cast.  The reel is only 8 months old and I really like the smoothness, drag, and otherwise nice features.  I typically cast with the rod in my left hand and I do manually close the bail most times when using all of my spinning gear.  Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.