Yamaha blue grease ..

Started by basenjib123, March 01, 2019, 02:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basenjib123

Just wondering if you wear gloves when you de-grease and grease your reels?   I use yamaha grease and I wondering if getting it on my skin all the time is a health risk at all?   Thanks, Joe.

alantani

i started wearing gloves when my wife started complaining that she could still smell the grease even after i showered.  we're going to find out someday that this stuff causes alzheimer's.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gobi King

I wear disposable surgical gloves, don't take any chances.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

I now wear the disposable nitrile gloves - one pair per session then bin 'em

basenjib123

I think I'm going to start wearing gloves too.  I don't need any more problems.  Thanks for the replies.

oc1

I used to hate gloves.  It is worth taking the time to find a brand, type and fit you like.  You want to be able to don them quickly, provide good sensitivity, be neither binding nor baggy. 
-steve

RowdyW

I've worked in the heavy equipment & trucking industry all my life. I've been covered with oil & grease daily. I worked in oil filled compartments & tanks to quickly repair leaks & for repairs to save time instead of draining them. I've reached up into the underside of equipment with the oil running down my arms all the way to my shoes. My uniforms didn't get washed, they went for an oil change.  ;D I'm almost 80 years old and don't have a wrinkle. Maybe all that oil was good for my skin. It's too late to change now.          Rudy

handi2

Quote from: RowdyW on March 01, 2019, 09:08:45 PM
I've worked in the heavy equipment & trucking industry all my life. I've been covered with oil & grease daily. I worked in oil filled compartments & tanks to quickly repair leaks & for repairs to save time instead of draining them. I've reached up into the underside of equipment with the oil running down my arms all the way to my shoes. My uniforms didn't get washed, they went for an oil change.  ;D I'm almost 80 years old and don't have a wrinkle. Maybe all that oil was good for my skin. It's too late to change now.          Rudy

Rudy I didn't know your were that young. I didn't start wearing the Nitrile gloves until last year and still forget to use them. Now that im married i try to each time.

Best to all,

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Cor

Quote from: alantani on March 01, 2019, 03:44:06 AM
i started wearing gloves when my wife started complaining that she could still smell the grease even after i showered.  we're going to find out someday that this stuff causes alzheimer's.
I think the alzheimer's is more a factor of the average age of the participants on this site..... ::) ;D
Ask me, I used to know.
Cornelis

Tiddlerbasher

Zimbass

Quote from: Cor on March 02, 2019, 05:28:14 AM
Quote from: alantani on March 01, 2019, 03:44:06 AM
i started wearing gloves when my wife started complaining that she could still smell the grease even after i showered.  we're going to find out someday that this stuff causes alzheimer's.
I think the alzheimer's is more a factor of the average age of the participants on this site..... ::) ;D
Ask me, I used to know.

I think you got to the CORE of the problem Corne !! :D :D
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Crow

Like Rudy, my line of work...and some of my hobbies...kept me in all sorts of oils, greases, and 'goos', in fact, we washed our clothes in Stanisol degreaser, before we washed them in soap and water. Not to make light of anyone's concerns, but I doubt any of the "reel heads" here will ever get enough "exposure" to bother with. That said, it's YOUR life, YOUR decision ! One thing that I still do, is to rub a "lanolin" type of hand cream on, before I get involved in any "ikky" type of grease....it keeps the "black" from getting into your skin, so much....and makes for easier clean-up.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Brewcrafter

I worry less about exposure, and more about Wrath of SWMBO when I go into the house for something and even while thinking that I have my hands clean, ended up unknowingly leaving "trace evidence" on the handle of the coffeepot, in the bathroom, etc.  Also, since a good part of my job requires me to be "on call", it's really nice to be able to just "peel and toss" the gloves to pickup the phone.

theswimmer

Back in the 80's my brother and I worked for a production fiberglass boat shop .
My brother never wore gloves and washed with acetone.
I always wore gloves and never exposed bare skin to any solvents.
My brother passed from Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 99........

I always wear gloves.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!