reselling reels?

Started by Christopher M Songer, March 05, 2019, 03:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher M Songer

I was given a box of reels. 25 line counters 12 Okuma's ranging from Catalinas to Magpro 20dx. 13 Daiwas line counters. A few Abu casting.
The drag washers are felt in the Daiwa's and durlon or nylon in most of the Okuma's. As I get ready to tear them apart and rebuild for sale I can not decide if I should just put carbon fiber washers in them all and change $10 more per reel or clean and replace the old washers if not torn. I was actually given a box of over 30 reels of good quality for Great Lakes trolling. Some missing cast control caps or other minor things. Personally I would go with the drag washer upgrade but I just want to sell them and move on. What's your thoughts- original drag and sell cheaper or carbon fiber and sell for $10 more.
Pros and Cons?

Thanks,

Chris
Always go forward, never go straight

alantani

i would get them running first, but that's just me.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Personally, I would service them and install new drag washers before selling.  I just don't want any reel or anyone coming back to me that I sold them junk even though I mention that I didn't check them out first.  No wonder I lose money. ;) ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Frank

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 05, 2019, 03:44:44 PM
Personally, I would service them and install new drag washers before selling.  I just don't want any reel or anyone coming back to me that I sold them junk even though I mention that I didn't check them out first.  No wonder I lose money. ;) ;D

Bryan hit the nail on the head.

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

foakes

Quote from: alantani on March 05, 2019, 03:25:40 PM
i would get them running first, but that's just me.   :-\

Yeah, I would get them running with each receiving a cleaning, inspection, new drag stack, and proper lubrication.  

Level-Line assemblies can be another issue on these.

If they are sold as is — they will sell either for what you paid for them, or super cheap as a lot, or not at all — and 10 years from now — you will still have most of them.

Just depends on if you want to put the time and a little money into each reel, or not.

The other thing with duplicates of the same kind of reel that is good — if there were broken or badly worn parts, you might be able to take one or two of a group of 10 identical, for example — as parts donor reels.  Then you would have 8 ready to roll reels with only needing to replace the drag stacks.

The real two questions to ask yourself — and answer with brutal honesty, is:

"How much would I pay for a reel that is not ready to fish, has some wear, and needs some parts and a new drag stack?"

"And, being a contributing professional on the Alan Tani reel repair and service site — would I be completely satisfied using any of these reels — as is?"

When you answer those 2 questions to yourself — you will know what direction is best to take.

Sounds like fun!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Quote from: foakes on March 05, 2019, 04:02:27 PM
Quote from: alantani on March 05, 2019, 03:25:40 PM
The other thing with duplicates of the same kind of reel that is good — if there were broken or badly worn parts, you might be able to take one or two of a group of 10 identical, for example — as parts donor reels.  Then you would have 8 ready to roll reels with only needing to replace the drag stacks.

I would also give them the remaining good parts from the donor reels because you will never know they they will need them in the future.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Christopher M Songer

Going with my gut and as always treat the reels as my own. I would want the upgrade in the reels. My reputation will also be judged by the product I put out there. I am NOT intending to buy and flip reels. Looks like I need to order a boat load of carbon fiber washers! I have 3 sets for the Daiwa 27 series line counters but will hold off using them for now. I just went to the Lake Erie Charter Capts meeting this past Sat and expect to see a boost in my work load.

Thanks for all your input. Always two or more ways to look at something.

Chris

mikeysm

That's why I can't sell things I dont want someone to say I sold them junk.

Mike

Keta

It sounds like you have several similar reels.  In this situation I would order a few of each Carbontex drag washer sets and once I am sure a reel is repairable put the CF washers in. When you run out of CF washers order a few more and continue.  All of my personal reels with the exception of the "collectors" have had CF washers put in them.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Christopher M Songer

Quote from: Keta on March 05, 2019, 05:18:58 PM
It sounds like you have several similar reels.  In this situation I would order a few of each Carbontex drag washer sets and once I am sure a reel is repairable put the CF washers in. When you run out of CF washers order a few more and continue.  All of my personal reels with the exception of the "collectors" have had CF washers put in them.

All these reels I see week in and week out. If I order too many for this set of reels I know I will need it sooner than later. I think I will order enough from Dawn all the Daiwa's and a few extra as I need them all the time anyway.

Gfish

Good original question. I agree with Bryan Young and Mikeysm and foakes: sell 'em the best product I can, at a reasonable price. And that's why I probably wouldn't succeed in business.
I've had several "discussions" with my wife, who is a real "value"-"buy it quick, before someone else does" shopper. I hate that style of shopping. Doesn't work well at all with big ticket used items like homes & cars, especially when I'm the one who becomes responsible for repairs & maintenance, and I godda live near loud roadways and pain in the rear neighbors.
I'm not comfortable with selling someone something where I try'n charge as much as I can and let them figure-out what's wrong with it...

If yer not already doin it CMS, you could buy some cf sheets and tools to cut your own drag washers.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Christopher M Songer

Hey G, I am busy enough with reels. LOL Still getting my self set up for reel work. My buddy may be interested in making the carbon fiber washers. We could make this a team effort. Thanks to all for your thoughtful comments.

reel man

Go thru each reel as if you're going to fish it tomorrow and into the future.

steelfish

Quote from: reel man on March 05, 2019, 11:42:18 PM
Go thru each reel as if you're going to fish it tomorrow and into the future.

thats the only way.

The Baja Guy

Dominick

Go lie down on the sofa until the feeling passes.   ::)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.