Rotor Cup Nuts..

Started by basenjib123, March 06, 2019, 12:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basenjib123

What are ya'll using to get these stubborn Rotor Cup Nuts off?  Not much room to work in there.  Thanks, Joe.

foakes

Nut Drivers, Socket, Wrench, or a Metric Crescent...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basenjib123

If the spool shaft is out of the way its not bad but when its not...PIA sometimes.

foakes

I remove the spool shaft first, 99% of the time.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on March 06, 2019, 01:50:52 AM
I remove the spool shaft first, 99% of the time.

Best,

Fred

100% in my opinion. There is absolutely no reason to fight the process and generally the shaft has to eventually come out anyway. Also, there are a few reels out there, and I can't remember the exact makes or models, that have somewhat of a recessed nut area. Those reels require a thin-wall socket. I've found Snap-ons have some of the thinner walls but I have taken a cheap Japanese socket and ground down the outside for really tight areas.     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Yes, Tommy has been looking in my top right hand drawer!

Here is a set of Snap-On 1/4" sockets, drivers, and extensions, that I have had for well over 40 years.

Standard & Metric.

They get used a couple of times, most days.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

oc1

tholmes

Quote from: foakes on March 06, 2019, 01:09:13 AM
a Metric Crescent...

Do they make those in a left-handed model?

Tom

foakes

Good point, Holmes!

Yes, both left-handed Metric Crescent & right-handed versions are needed for rotor nuts that may have either forward (right) — or reverse (left) threaded rotor nuts.

Here are a couple of technical examples —

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Whoa!  :o  I learn somepin new every day!   :D Thanks for the tip, Fred!  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)