Ideas for 99 Silver Beach

Started by Darin Crofton, March 06, 2019, 09:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin Crofton

Hey guys, I'm wanting to upgrade my 99 SB and was wondering if the Pro Challenger Jigmaster DD bridge will work in it?
If not, has anyone tooled up DD's in one before, can't seem to find anything in the search???
Thanks, Darin 
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Gfish

I put one in onea the Cortez Conversion 99 kits. Great products, both the CC kits and the PC dd bridges(especially with an ss gear sleeve and HX gear/drag set).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

I think Tom's 99 kit is for a Jgmaster, isn't it? A 99 stand is different. If it were me, I'd pu a Jigmaster plate on it to makean original Albacore Special.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mo65

The Silver Beach 99, 259 Live Bait Caster, Senator 110, and Surfmaster 250 all take the #3-99 bridge...for which nobody makes a "drop in" DD bridge. This is one you have to make by yourself. I've done the "dogs on the bridge screws" mod to the 259 and the 250...it's easy to fit...a little tougher to assemble. A major feeling of accomplishment will fill you when it all works! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Quote from: Ron Jones on March 06, 2019, 02:48:31 PM
I think Tom's 99 kit is for a Jgmaster, isn't it? A 99 stand is different. If it were me, I'd pu a Jigmaster plate on it to makean original Albacore Special.
The Man
Yup. Forgot. The jiggy head-plate will fit on the 99 to give ya 4:1 gearing and a more heavy-duty gear sleeve/bridge stud.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Quote from: Gfish on March 06, 2019, 03:22:08 PM
The Man
Yup. Forgot. The jiggy head-plate will fit on the 99 to give ya 4:1 gearing and a more heavy-duty gear sleeve/bridge stud.

Yes, this is what we were doing 35-40 years ago.

Knowledgeable anglers in SoCal preferred this over stock JM's.

These were referred to as, "99 Specials".

Many variations sprouted out of these clever ideas — but the foundation was now poured, and in place to come up with the ideal gear ratio — coupled with a stronger frame and exterior components.

At the same time, Carl Newell was offering selected upgrades for Penn reels.

None of this would have been possible — except for the great practice that Penn developed of keeping many various reels basically standardized & with interchangeable parts that fit perfectly between models.

Look where we are now.

We have come back full circle.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Gfish on March 06, 2019, 03:22:08 PM
The Man
Thanks for all the feedback everybody! I do like the sound of using the jiggy head-plate and guts, I'm guessing I need to find a black jiggy to match my 99 non-handle side plate, I have a bunch of red jiggy plates and reels. Or maybe I'll make a FrankenJiggy?  ;D ;D ;D

Maxed Out

FYI, you can widen your 99 silver beach with 112 seat, and jigmaster 500 spool and posts.

.....then put your 500 headplate on and you have a jigmaster 500 with a 3 screw seat instead of 2. The end result is as Fred described.... a much sturdier jigmaster 500, or a wide 99 depending on which headplate is used.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

milne

I read all these above posts, and felt a gentle breeze woffting itself over my head !
Sounded like all double dutch for this uninitiated simpleton.
It all sounds pretty impressive guys, and it's time for me to start "tricking up" or modifying these extra Penn reels.

( sorry to hijack your thread Darin )

Now I may well end up, with a spare 1960's maroon Squidder, after I complete my next little transaction.
My question is, how far can you go with the Squidder ?   good one to start with ?
It would be used on the boat, depends what for how strong a "creation" can be made...

thoughts

Col

Darin Crofton

Hi Col,
Here's an older squidder I just built. It has an extra narrow Tiburon kit I got from Randy, Bryan's 5+1 stack, AT ss sleeve, pro gear handle and a ss dog I believe came from Lee. I'm not sure what the drag numbers are yet, but will let you know this week, I'm waiting on some braid to get here for it. It spins forever, can't wait to throw some plugs with it!
Darin

milne

Darin, that is nice !
So what sort of fish are you going to target with that set up Darin ?
Even though it's a extra narrow spool, with braid it would still hold a fair bit yeah ?
Throwing a popper at some decent Kingfish ???

Col

Darin Crofton

Quote from: milne on April 08, 2019, 06:41:42 AM
Darin, that is nice !
So what sort of fish are you going to target with that set up Darin ?
Even though it's a extra narrow spool, with braid it would still hold a fair bit yeah ?
Throwing a popper at some decent Kingfish ???

Col
Hi Col, probably use it on the flats a little for redfish, snook and trout, and offshore for catching bait like big blue runners and small bonita...

milne

Ok,  That's perfect Darin, I flick a few lures on the boat at our salt water atlantic salmon, they top no more than 5-7lb and are a great fighter.
       So I think that will be a good first project for me,,,,,
  And, Randy has just put aside a silver kit for me.
may end up asking you a few questions and tips on how too.....

Thanks Darin

Col

Darin Crofton

Donnyboat

Darin that narrow reel looks great, thanks for posting, and the photos, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat