Previous topic - Next topic

Penn 501 pinion

Penn 501
1 (33.3%)
Upgraded 501
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Rusty hook

My near-mint 501, with all internals stainless,  spool rubs slightly against the pinion I presume, when in free spool. Basically stops with extra side play adjustment via left bearing. Any ideas?

Petah

Does the spool show any signs of rubbing on the outer edge of the bridge plate??? Had to bevel a couple of mine for that or the bridge plate screws may be rubbing on the spool.

Peter

Rusty hook

Hmmm, good question. I will check. Sounds easy if that is it. Thanks.

Rusty hook

Hits twice on a rotation, spool hits the pinion, I'm thinking of playing with the jack .

Rusty hook

The spool hits the pinion at the engagement point when in free spool leaned to that side.  I'm thinking right side bearing and/or bend the tabs on the jack. Anyone else have this issue? This reel has all stainless, double dog internals.

Gfish

Quote from: Rusty hook on March 09, 2019, 12:40:49 AM
My near-mint 501, with all internals stainless,  spool rubs slightly against the pinion I presume, when in free spool. Basically stops with extra side play adjustment via left bearing. Any ideas?

"Spool rubs slightly against the pinion I presume, when in free spool." ---  So, the top of the pinion and the male section on the spool shaft knock against each other?  
If that's what's happening, the pinion's not moving enough via the yolk/eccentric action. Try loosening the 4 bridge screws and recheck. Check to make sure the fully threaded vs the mostly unthreaded bridge screws are in the right place( mostly unthreaded screws hold/balance the yolk).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Rusty hook

The shoulder on the spool is getting cut by the pinion in free spool. The pinion is not moving into the sideplate area deeply enough, so I suspect the JACK needs to have the tabs bent for further disengagement. Of course, if it keeps happening, it will self resolve by having the pinion cut that shoulder back! That could be messy. I suspect the side bearing and or the tabs on the jack

Rusty hook

After looking at it several times, I really think the jack is not sufficiently pressing down the yoke...  any other guesses?

RUSTY OLD COLT

I had one a few years ago ,that was purchased used at a fishing flea market that drove me crazy . The problems  was solved by swapping the left and right bearings with a known good reel , one of the bearings pins ? was a little worn down possibly from a previous owner over tightening them . 

Gfish

Lets see...You got an old brass jack you could try?  Have you tried flipping the yolk around side to side or oppsite side up? Another thing might be a shim down in the head-plate bushing/b.bearing(delrin dot).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Is the spool centered in the frame?  You can judge it by eye.  If the spool seems to tuck under the ring more on the right side than the left side then shim the right side bushing like Greg says.  You could use delrin, brass or copper dots.  

If the spool is already centered then adjust the ramps.

-steve

Rusty hook

Gfish and oc1-the spool is not Quite centered-it could use a bit of shim-I also ordered another bearing just because they are inexpensive. I looked at the bearing with regards to placining a shim in it, I just don't have anything laying around that would work. I'll keep looking. Thanks.

Maxed Out

Does your 501 have factory sideplates or custom aluminum sideplates ??

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Rusty hook

oc1

Quote from: Rusty hook on March 10, 2019, 01:19:30 PM
I just don't have anything laying around that would work.
You can cut shims from an old soda can.  A new bushing might not help because it may be the shaft end that is worn down.
-steve