What Dog is This?

Started by nelz, March 11, 2019, 02:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Does anybody know what part number this dog is?

My 505HS Jigmaster's dog does not have the little post that keeps the spring from slipping. It looks like it will slip off eventually, I would like to put one like this in it.

RowdyW

It looks like the dog from a 500S jigmaster. 15-500S  I think it is obsolete now. Check with Keta, he used to have some he had made in s/s.             Rudy

Keta

Some 15-500S dogs have a spring retaining pin like the one in the photo, some have a notch.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

nelz

My 15-500 dog has neither post or notch. I really don't know what prevents the spring from popping out of place. Does anybody have one of these (with the post) they can sell me?

Bryan Young

I've never had an issued with the flat 500 anti-reverse spring slipping off of the dog.  The notch or post has helped during assembly but that is about it for my experience.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Quote from: nelz on March 11, 2019, 07:37:29 PM
My 15-500 dog has neither post or notch. I really don't know what prevents the spring from popping out of place. Does anybody have one of these (with the post) they can sell me?

Just looked through close to 500 new and used loose dogs for Penns.

Found one with a notch in a 500.

It is yours if you want it, Nelz.  I can send it out N/C if you PM me your mailing info.

However, like many on here, I have assembled perhaps close to 1000 Jigmasters over the years — and have never had an issue with a dog spring popping out of place on the regular smooth dogs.

I think there is just no place for them to go — once in place — since most of the 500 - 500S bridges have a spring keeper post that the loop at one end of a 14-500 Spring is attached to.

Never been an issue.  Plus, if it had — Penn would have fixed it.

The 500S was short-lived — and had some features that obviously some engineers thought might be useful.  Some, like the dogs — turned out to be redundant and not necessary — so the original dogs were brought back.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nelz

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 11, 2019, 07:41:39 PMI've never had an issued with the flat 500 anti-reverse spring slipping off of the dog.

I was referring to the tiny coil spring actually. I agree the flat ones work very well and don't slip.

nelz

Actually Fred, after looking at the photos, I figure I can just file a notch like that on the dog that's in there. Thanks anyway! I would sure like to get one of those post design ones though.

I recently sold off my only Jigmaster (500S) but ended up regretting not having a Jigmaster in my arsenal. This weekend I spotted a dirty, corrosion-encrusted wreck of a 505HS at the flea market and got it dirt cheap.  ::)

Amazingly, the internals are fine and a few hours later I have a nice Jigmaster once again. The spring issue has always bothered me, I see the dog itself is held down by the bridge, but don't see that the spring is.

Btw, side-note, I found out carb cleaner will erase all the 505HS graphics and melt handle knobs! Oh well, the graphics were half gone anyway, lol.

nelz

Here she is. She ain't perty, but she's smooth as buttah!

nelz

I took apart the reel again to notch the dog but finally was able to see how it is actually secured in place, and the notch isn't even necessary. As it turns out, there is a small cut-out in the side-plate that the spring assembly fits into.

foakes

In the words of Lee (Keta) —

Yep...😀😀😀👍👍👍

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Yup....;0)

I have found 3 different styles of AR dogs in Jigmaster reels and it does not seem to matter.  If it was my reel I'd use the more common 15-500 rather than the notched 15-500s or the one with the pin. I think I still have some SS 15-500S dogs but I'm not 100% on that. I have never seen a notched one marked 15-500 like the one in Fred's photo.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

I think that too much spring pressure can cause problems. I like to try'n get just enough to get the dog bottomed out without making a loud clicking noise, on any Jigmaster.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!