Quick Trip to the Surf 03/09/19

Started by xjchad, March 12, 2019, 06:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

I'm crazy busy right now with work, and lots of other stuff going on in my life so I haven't been very active on here lately.  I was in Indianapolis all last week and flew home late Friday night.  Spent the morning with my family and after lunch my dad and I headed out with my 3 oldest kids.  I weren't expecting much and didn't plan to stay long.  Conditions were good as far as surf and salad, none of either, but it was cold and the wind kept getting stronger. 
We fished about 3 hours mackerel on the long rods and squid on the critter rod.
About half way in my dad gets a nice bounce on his rod and after putting pressure on the circle hook he starts loosing line fast.  Thought for sure we were gonna land a nice bat, but after a couple minutes, the fight changes and I'm seeing tail slaps.  Knew then it was a sevengill, and it was putting up a great fight.  After another run, he got it in close, but is just stayed out in waist deep  water, refusing to get any closer.  I didn't want to wrestle with it out that far and waited until my dad was able to finally coax it close enough to get my hands on it. 
Once we had it beached I realized why it was so hard to get in.  This male was big and fat!  Measured at 98" and had to have been 180-200 lbs.  We took some quick pictures and let the kids check it out and then returned it to the sea.  I had to get him in deeper water and rock him a bit, but he finally kicked away strong.

After that, the long rods stayed quiet, but the critter rod was keeping the kids busy.  They had a blast and their smiles made my heart happy!

I wore the stripe all day, but I've never been more happy to be skunked. 
It was a great day!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Swami805

Nice day Chad, that's a nice perch! That beach looks like a desert but you find em. Nothing beats a day of fishing with the family.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

newport

Wow, nice catch. Where do you live to be able to surf fish for sevengilled sharks?

steelfish

amigo,

you make it sound as its too easy to catch those sharks and other critters

congrats bud.
The Baja Guy

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Alright Chad! Great day for you and yours. Makin me wish my dad had been into the saltwater experience. Raised in Minnesota, he & mom took us out fw fishin and got us some good beginning experience in California, but Calie. ain't Minie., i.e., reserviors and crowds, insteda 10,000+natural lakes, with boat rentals, populations of wild fish, etc. Even the Twin cities where they grew-up, had lake/creek chains runnin through 'em.

Looks like great exp. and fun for your kids. Good investments in the "memory bank".
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

Good Chad, great day had by all, good memories, the youngsters will never forget, thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Benni3

Yes great job,,, :D that looks like a blast,,,, ;D

Darin Crofton

That's good stuff buddy and you caught those fish on my birthday!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

biggiesmalls

Love seeing the Pacific stuff. You're lucky - your fish are used to cold water. Ours still haven't gotten the memo!

Drew