Making a 112h hotrod

Started by timburke6, March 13, 2019, 02:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timburke6

So I just entered the alantani / reel repair / service world. I just completed servicing a few reels and came across all the upgrades people are doing tot their senators and I wanted to give it a shot. Ive already got the smooth drag washers installed.

1. Grab a tiburon frame. I see there is an extra wide option with a spool. Does anyone know how wide the extra wide is? I was planning on just staying stock width.

2. grab the double dog assembly from mystic parts. Looks like ill have to figure out how to Dremel.

3. For the sleeve should I be looking at 8 or 10 tooth. What about coarse or fine thread?

4. New handle... I was looking at the pro challenger handle EVA knob but open to suggestions.
https://squareup.com/market/pro-challenger-llc/

5 - Stainless gear set from smooth drag or mystic parts.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks for you help / opinions.

RowdyW

1. The extra wide "Tuna Special is 1/4" wider & will hold 50+more yds. of mono or 100 of braid.  2. The double dog assem. is under reconfiguration. Have you thought of CC alum. plates that are set up for double dogs?  3.  8 or 10? Do you want simultanious or alternating dogs? If staying with single dog I would use  the 10 tooth to take out some of the back slop.  4.  I like the PC handle arm but not a fan of the soft knob.  5.  I like the nitride coated steel main gear from Penn. It can be sometimes found in the aftermarket out of a jigmaster 500S for instance.  On the drags I would go for Bryans 5+1 kit from Mystic, it will increase your drag by about 10#'s but is not recomended for use with bronze main gears. These are just my opinions. That's what's great about customs, you build what "you" want.       Rudy  

timburke6

Thanks for the help and advice Rudy. The one thing I don't really want to do yet is the side plates. I still want to see Penn Senator on the side... for now. makes sense about the teeth 8 vs 10 now.

thorhammer

Everything Rudy said, and you may check out Alan's (the Boss Alan) 3/0 grip. perfect for that reel, on his SS handle blade or other of your choice. I have his full assembly on both full (CC plates / Tib frame etc) conversions.

JMO.....

timburke6

Where do I buy those handles from? Would you mind sharing a link

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Bill B

Bwawawahahahahahaaa 😉   Another youngling joins the Darkside.....Becareful Tim, it gets reel addicting 😜 Show us pictures when you finish...we love to drool on other people's gear....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Petah

timburke6,
                This what I did to my 3/0
It has Pro Challenger stainless steel gear sleeve, the JMX 500 hex gear set, a Tiburon frame and Cortez Conversion side plates.
It's a beast now!!!

Captain64-200

Quote from: Petah on April 28, 2019, 08:18:32 AM
timburke6,
                This what I did to my 3/0
It has Pro Challenger stainless steel gear sleeve, the JMX 500 hex gear set, a Tiburon frame and Cortez Conversion side plates.
It's a beast now!!!

That's beautiful  ,but what's left of the original reel ?
Fred from Biarritz ,

thorhammer

just springs  and spool lol

Alto Mare

Different type of material, but still the same unbeatable design😉.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

vilters

here's mine, similar to what you are describing. tib frame (original width) newell spool - nothing wrong with penn spool, just had it already, 8 tooth stainless sleeve and (single) dog, steel 4:1 penn gears - still pulls line pretty quickly with larger spool diameter, bryan's 5 stack drag kit, alan (tani) 's stainless handle arm w/ accurate knob. btw, nice reel petah, i'm still considering tom's sideplates, but for now, i like the o.g. plates.

RowdyW

I like to use a ss fine thread gear sleeve & 505 star wheel with Bryans 5 stack. It gives you a finer adjustment on the drags especially with Bryans 5 stack which ramps up very quickly. I also like to use a 10 tooth sleeve to eliminate more backplay in the handle.           Rudy