STURGEON FISHING 3/16/2019

Started by Dominick, March 17, 2019, 04:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

We went sturgeon fishing in the south bay.  This fish was caught by Dave, one of the boat owners.  57" long 67lbs. We fish about 1/4 mile south of the Dumbarton Railroad Bridge. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

very nice!!!  had smoked sturgeon maybe 20 years ago.  that was the last time i've even seen a piece, much less a whole fish, in person.  been thinking of calling steve gutierrez about a trip.  maybe when i clear out this backlog of reels.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

festus

Nice one!  Sturgeon are being reintroduced in my neck-of-the-woods and are always caught accidentally by catfishermen.

El Pescador

Looks like a GREAT day Dominick!

And I like you Alan, have only enjoyed smoked sturgeon, about a half a dozen times over the years.

Never had fresh sturgeon cooked in any method.

Let's see what Chef Dominick cooks up!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Swami805

I had Sturgeon in a resturant up there once, it was really good,no bones too. What kind of sturgeon is that? Is there more than one kind in the bay? That's a really nice fish,some fine dining right there.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Benni3

That's a big fish,,,, :D great job,,,,,, ;D

Hardy Boy

Nice fish. I have caught lots but we are not allowed to keep any in the Fraser. I hear they are great eating ............enjoy !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Dominick

It's a white sturgeon.  It is very tasty.  I pan sauteed a piece in butter with a little salt and pepper.  I thought the taste was very good.  I did not like the texture.  The texture was like a medium cooked steak.  It was like chewing meat.  I suppose there might be a recipe to tenderize it somewhat.  I'll research that.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Looks like fun.   There's always gatecrasher as well to go fishing with.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oc1

Quote from: Dominick on March 17, 2019, 06:20:07 PM
I did not like the texture.  The texture was like a medium cooked steak.  It was like chewing meat.
Like medium steak but more gooshy.  That's why people rave about smoked sturgeon but seldom mention sturgeon steaks.  Smoking firms up the meat.  

Most commercial sturgeon fisheries were all about the caviar but the fishermen were left with huge quantities of meat that nobody liked.  Hence smoked sturgeon.  If they didn't have caviar there would be more healthy populations of sturgeon around today.
-steve

Tightlines667

Well done!

That looks like a nice fish.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

CooldadE

I have caught and ate quite a few Sturgeon. Smoked is always great but if cooked right not much is better. Someways I like are Italian style (breadcrumbs in olive oil). On the grill (on top of foil with butter and garlic). Beer battered balls. Baked and pan fried... the trick as with any fish is not to over cook it or it turns to rubber... it should be firm (not to firm though) but flakey.

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

newport

Nice fish. Sturgeon is definitely on my buck list (and eat list)!

Shark Hunter

Thanks for taking us along Dominick.
Nice Sturgeon! ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dominick on March 17, 2019, 06:20:07 PM
It's a white sturgeon.  It is very tasty.  I pan sauteed a piece in butter with a little salt and pepper.  I thought the taste was very good.  I did not like the texture.  The texture was like a medium cooked steak.  It was like chewing meat.  I suppose there might be a recipe to tenderize it somewhat.  I'll research that.  Dominick
A splash of Zin would have taken care of it ;D. with that said...I never had sturgeon.

Nice looking fish and boat. Oh yes, you look pretty good yourself ;)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.