Need help replacing drags in 4/0 senator

Started by Monster1, March 18, 2019, 08:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monster1

My friend gave me his 4/0 senator to take apart and clean up for him.  I pulled it apart and it was dry and everything sticky.  I separated the drag stack. Some of the washers were stuck together so badly, I had to separate them with a razor blade.  They were nearly glued together.  Here are a few pics I took.  What kind of washers are these?  They are very hard and smooth.  I was going to order a sheet of 1mm carbon fiber sheet and cal grease off ebay but wanted to see some suggestions here first.  I'm very capable of doing the work.  I just need the knowledge from you guys what I need.

Thanks,
Monty

MarkT

They look like Smoothies to me which I think were gasket material. I'd go with either ht-100 or Carbontex... both are woven carbon fiber.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Donnyboat

Hi Monty, the 1mm carbon fibre, are the best, lightly greased with cals grease. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

foakes

Hi Monty —

You may find it cheaper, and more efficient to order (5) CF or HT-100's from Smooth Drag, Mystic, or Bryan.

Plus (1) Delrin under gear washer that does not get greased with Cal's.

After you clean up and flat-surface those SS washers, the CF's, Cal's, and the Delrin will make it a lifetime drag — plus smooth and effective through all drag positions from the lightest to full lock-down.

No jerkiness.

Best,

Fred

Quote from: MarkT on March 18, 2019, 08:34:00 PM
They look like Smoothies to me which I think were gasket material. I'd go with either ht-100 or Carbontex... both are woven carbon fiber.

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I too would recommend just ordering a full drag kit from Mystic Parts as Alan suggested. 1 mm thick carbontex will likely not be thick enough. I believe the Ht-100s are 1.3 mm thick.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Monster1

Thanks for the responses.  I'm going to go with the mystic drag kit.  Yes. I measured the washers out at .052.  That's approximately 1.3mm.  Definitely going to go with these are they seem to be a direct replacement.   

Brewcrafter

Definitely go with the suggestion of The Boss.  On my personal reels I have done 2 x 113H and one 114H and really just easiest to focus on cleaning and lubing all the internals and dropping a new matched stack of CF and Stainless in.

Monster1

Thanks.  I picked up the recommended set and some cal grease.  Now, do I grease these drags or leave dry? Reel is going to fish straight 40lb test mono if that's important.

alantani

grease them, and welcome to the dark side.......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

When I found this forum four years ago, I was looking for help on a Mitchell 302. Life has not been the same since lol. I have met some amazing people personally and electronically, and at the forefront Alan himself. Now i can rebuild most conventional Penns in under an hour including cleaning. When I first started, I had hot-rodded two Senators with Accurate kits 20 years ago, and bought a few Newell spacer bars for Jigmasters. I recall telling myself "YOU ARE NOT HOTRODDING ALL THOSE JIGMASTERS, SQUIDDERS, AND ASSORTED BEACH / SURF / BAYMASTERS; YOU HAVE RACKS OF LEVER DRAGS AND DON"T EVEN LIVE AT THE BEACH ANYMORE!"

Well, let's just say things didn't go as planned....the longwinded point is that the Dark Side, as Alan says, especially if you are doing multiple reels, is to do them one way: the right way, then you don't worry which one has the new drag stack when that Big Tasty bends you up. Even stuff that's on  the twentieth string team gets greased carbon drags if I bother to go in there. I never know where that reel might end up and the next person who has it will not have a failure from poor service. The next guy inside it will know it was done correctly. There's enough else to worry about on a boat.

John

Monster1

Thanks everyone and especially to Alantani for being generous with his knowledge and awesome forum!

Lunker Larry

So you don't grease the delron washer under the drive gear? What about other non CF washers?
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Gfish

I decided to start greasing underside of the gear in older Penns just to decrease the corrosion factor. The delrin down there makes a good friction reducing surface and the grease probably negatively affects this, but saltwater seems to collect there and I hate ending up with a pitted gear. A carbon fiber under-the-gear washer you definitely wanna grease.
Alla metal washers get a light coating of cal's for mine.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

I use hard washers underneath, and whenever i can I use steel mains. i grease like Greg said. if I screw up and lose a fish that might be reason 23.