Minor fishing rod repair question

Started by ccalls, October 02, 2011, 02:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccalls

The butt cap fell off of one of my rods and got lost.  The newly exposed blank measures 7/8".  Do I buy a new butt cap that has an inner diameter of exactly 7/8" or do I go one size up to allow room for glue?  Thanks in advance.

Snagged2

You can wrap the end of the blank with masking tape, to build up the diameter to a nice fit, then use a good epoxy to glue it on..
The wrapped tape holds the buttcap concentric while the glue dries..

Use plenty, and wipe off the excess, acetone may help!  , then stand in a corner butt down till it dries..

sometimes air pressure in the blank can cause the cap to start walking off until the glue starts to harden, so some sort of bungy type  "clamp" or pressure on the buttcap towards the seat can help..

Tennessee

put a pin hole in the cap and let the air escape the epoxy will follow the air and your good to go
I just love it when I catch something!

ccalls

You guys have given me great instruction on how to reattach a butt cap but the question was..."what size cap to buy?"   7/8ths or 1 inch ?   Thanks.

Norcal Pescador

I'd go with the 7/8. If it's too tight to fit comfortably while allowing for a thin coat of glue, then I would slowly sand the butt with 400 wetordry sandpaper until it fit. Mark off where you want to stop your sanding with a few wraps of plastic, painter's (blue), or masking tape so you don't accidentally sand the part of the rod that will show.  I'd use the tip-top glue, too. My 2 cents.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Irish Jigger

Tennessee

To take up diameter I like to use thread rather than tape. You can combine it with some adhesive and it develops a good base to glue your butt cap to. Also sometimes wrapping with cheese cloth and adhesive works well it depends on how much diameter your compensating for. If you can sand down I agree its probably the better way to go.
I just love it when I catch something!

ccalls