Heat Shrink Wrap Question

Started by nelz, March 20, 2019, 04:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I am going to be heat shrink wrapping an old foam grip and am not sure about the initial size to start with. So, what is the best practice, should I buy tubing close to the diameter of the grip or should it be a bit larger?

The grip is 30mm in diameter at the thickest part.

Swami805

Just big enough to go over everything to get it on the grip. Some kinds shrink quite a bit more than others. Are you looking at an X wrap shrink for fishing rods or generic shrink tube?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

nelz

Thanks Swami. I'm looking at the stuff that has the X pattern on it. So 30mm should do it then eh?.

Jeri

Would suggest that 30 or 35mm X-grip would suffice, the problem with going over an existing handle, is that shrink grip doesn't stretch too well. In tight situations, the adding of a liberal coating of contact adhesive on just one surface helps to act as a lubricant to slip tight tubes over, as long as you are quick, before the solvent has evaporated. Most shrink grip materials for rod building shrink between 25-50% of the original diameter, so 35mm wouldn't be a problem.

We use the contact adhesive even on loose fitting applications, as it helps stop the shrink tube from moving in later use, especially if the ends of the shrink wrap are not going to be sealed.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Tiddlerbasher

You can also find shrink wrap that already has adhesive on the inside - the application of heat would bond it to foam as well as shrinking it. I found the hardest thing to get right was the starting length - the tube also shrinks in length, as well as diameter, just not so much. I's probably worth experimenting to get it right.

Swami805

I make it long on both ends and cut of the excess once it's on. Some rubber or contact cement on the grip to keep it from moving,you could also use a wrap of friction tape in a pinch. Before the X wrap was common I'd use the smooth kind,put it in the lathe and rough it up with 80 grit sand paper so it wasn't too slick. Measure what you have to get it over for the size,it does shrink quite a bit so 35mm should be ok unless the grip is thin.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

rfkca

I did this to an older rod that had a chewed up foam grip. I regretted it for two reasons. 1) The irregular notches (chewed up areas) in the foam are detectable even through the x wrap. 2) the overall circumference of the handle grips is larger and bulkier. There are fixes for the chewed up foam that can be done before shrink wrapping but this is more work

After building a different rod and doing more thinking. I concluded it would be better to completely remove the foam grips, clean the blank to remove glue on the exposed areas (heat gun and / or acetone - not in combination).  Wrap the exposed area with adhesive backed cork tape. Use x rap over the cork tape. I could use a smaller diameter shrink tube (just needed to be large enough to fit over widest point i.e., reel seat) when sliding up from base of rod.

The result is a sleeker look without the bulk of the foam.

I now use this less expensive and easier approach on rods that I build from scratch

mrwilson99

I use both x-wrap and 3m cold shrink for the fore grip. I usually measure the thickest part of the rod that I'll be wrapping and an extra size over that measurement.

David

Frank

Quote from: mrwilson99 on March 20, 2019, 03:56:41 PM
I use both x-wrap and 3m cold shrink for the fore grip. I usually measure the thickest part of the rod that I'll be wrapping and an extra size over that measurement.

Which one do you like better, the X-wrap or the cold shrink?

Thanks,

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

nelz

I already replaced the fore-grip entirely with a new one, just going to shrink-wrap the bottom grip which is in nasty condition to keep it from further deteriorating, it should be fine after this.

I may consider using the left-over wrap on the new fore-grip depending on how the butt comes out.

Thanks guys.

mrwilson99

X-wrap is cheaper, but does wear out. The 3m material is thicker, but cushiony and last forever!

I usually do 3M for the fore grip and the bottom x-wrap.

Quote from: Frank on March 20, 2019, 04:02:56 PM
Quote from: mrwilson99 on March 20, 2019, 03:56:41 PM

Which one do you like better, the X-wrap or the cold shrink?

Thanks,

Frank
David

Frank

mrwilson99

Both will work, attached is a picture of my rods using xwrap and 3M.

Quote from: Frank on March 23, 2019, 09:42:42 AM
Thank you mrwilson!

Frank
David

Frank

Quote from: mrwilson99 on March 23, 2019, 05:48:16 PM
Both will work, attached is a picture of my rods using xwrap and 3M.

Quote from: Frank on March 23, 2019, 09:42:42 AM
Thank you mrwilson!

Frank

Look great! I'm going with the 3M cold shrink.

nelz

It came out great. I ended up buying some of the cheap stuff direct from China and was pleasantly surprised at the quality.

It took alot of heat though, my lady's blow dryer didn't cut it, I ended up holding it over the stove.

Also, I replaced the front grip in what I think is a pretty unique way: https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28180.0