Target fish

Started by milne, March 20, 2019, 11:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

Well,  As the heading said, put up photo's of your favourite reel, or just something your proud of.
I've been targeting this type of fish for many many a year and finally I cracked it.
The tides were right and a perfect full moon and on the change of tide.
Wasn't much light left when we got back in, so sorry for the photo quality.
It's what we call down under, a Dhuey or mulloway, a hard fighter and great eating.....
The only downer was I didn't take my Penn reels out with me, now that would have made it perfect !!!

Col

Tiddlerbasher

Gfish

Dude! Beautiful "Mulloway"(best sounding name).
I've a few on my list. For example; can't get a Great Barracuda so far...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Darin Crofton

Way to go, Col, beautiful fish!!!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Swami805

Nice fish! Good to check it off the list.
Rooster fish is mine, they've eluded me so far
Do what you can with that you have where you are

milne

Cheers Guys.
I still have a lot on my list to get as well, but the Mulloway was right up there.
It's one of those illusive fish that aren't in big numbers where I live, but are more plentiful where I am Holidaying at the minute.
So I knew I just had to have a crack while I was here.
I'm going to try and sneak out again over the next few days while I'm still here and try my luck again.
It's those illusive ones that keep us going back for more Gfish !
Your day will come mate...

Col

foakes

Well done, Col!

Thanks for sharing with a great photo!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

gstours

Great selfie there buddy,  at night too!  Thanks for sharing ,  good fishing to you . ;)
   If and when you get some time please tell us the bait/ lure,  were you in the surf?  Was it fun?   etc. :-*

Fishy247

Nice one Col! It kinda looks like a redfish that we catch in the SE USA. Great fight and even better eating. Cool beans, now go get another one! :D

Fishy247

Quoteeach chase instantly erases all the fruitless casts that preceded it....and the mainline rush of euphoria is simply incomparable

Ain't that the truth?

milne

Quote from: gstours on March 20, 2019, 03:13:10 PM
Great selfie there buddy,  at night too!  Thanks for sharing ,  good fishing to you . ;)
   If and when you get some time please tell us the bait/ lure,  were you in the surf?  Was it fun?   etc. :-*

Hi gstours,
              We were about 4km off shore in some rough ground when I caught this mulloway.
     They do catch them up salt water rivers and off the beach as well, so they do travel around a bit.
  I got this one on a full squid bait, after having 4-5 baits smashed and didn't hook up. They are really aggressive, there's no nibbling
at the bait with these fish, they absolutely smash baits. They can get a lot bigger, with reports of some being as long as 1.6 mtrs in length.
There one of those fish that fight all the way in, this one probably took 15 minutes to boat, that was in about 30 mtrs of water.
As I mentioned, where I live, they are scarce, but the further you head north, the more prolific they are.
I've tried for many a year when I've holidayed north, but with no success, So I had a wide smile on my face when the decky netted this one.
As I mentioned, we didn't weigh or measure it, she went straight on ice and that was the end of the session and we returned in, But everyone agreed it
was around the 1-1.2 meter mark. I was out on a local charter and once back on land, those that caught fish,, filleted them and the catch was shared around the 7 of us that were on the boat, so it was a quick photo before I filleted the fish.
Certainly made my evening,  now, as per fishing, it's on to the next targeted fish......

gstours

Thanks for the info,  sounds like you had a fun time,  and good eats.  Life's good.🎣🐟👏

Bill B

Congratulations brother....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

conchydong

Awesome, my bucket list is definitely visiting and hopefully fishing in the land down under. In my younger days I would have wanted to spearfish also. I might be up for a recreational relaxed dive but fishing from a boat is more suited to me now.
Congratulations on a nice catch.

Scott