Senator 12/0 Spool Bearing question

Started by Penn Chronology, March 21, 2019, 05:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

I am not remembering about how common or not common a Penn Senator 12/0 with Sleeve spool bearings and a one piece bronze spool is.

I know the 9/0 was made that way but I cannot remember ever seeing a 12/0 with sleeve bearings and a one piece spool.

Is it me or have others here run into this model?

1badf350

Mike I got around to comparing this spool to one that runs in ball bearings. I found that the spindles are very different and they are NOT interchangeable.

Here is the spool on the ball bearing reel. Notice the length of the drive side spindle. The clicker side spindle has a spacer washer and a step in diameter.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

1badf350

Now here is the spool from the 12/0 with screw in sleave bearings. Notice how much shorter the spindles are on both sides. The shape of the clicker side spindle is different, with no spacer since slack is taken up by adjusting the tailplate bearing.

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

1badf350

Also the line post is in different locations.
On the ball bearing reel the post is about dead center on the arbor.
On the sleeve bearing reel it is off to one side.

-Chris

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike I got around to comparing this spool to one that runs in ball bearings. I found that the spindles are very different and they are NOT interchangeable.

Yes, all the differences you mentioned can be seen on the 9/0. Many 9/0 reels with one piece spools were offered on the sleeve style bearings, showing those differences you mentioned. I expect to see that; but, I do not expect to see that on a 12/0. A fellow collector sent me these photos asking me about the 12/0 with a one piece spool and sleeve bearings. I have never seen one, that is why I posted it here, hoping someone here was familiar with the 12/0 set up that way..

1badf350

Mike, I am the one you have been emailing with LOL. I was wondering why you created a thread for me. I appreciate it though!   :D :D
Sorry for any confusion
-Chris

Penn Chronology

QuoteInsert Quote
Mike, I am the one you have been emailing with LOL. I was wondering why you created a thread for me. I appreciate it though!   
Sorry for any confusion

Not to worry. These kinds of things happen to me all the time. I guess it comes with age............................................. ??? ??? ???

Anyways,,,,,,,,, now that I know we are both looking for the same info, I wonder if anyone else has some input.

Otherwise I may have to take this question to a higher level...................

Shark Hunter

Like you said Mike,
I too have never seen a bushing 12/0 with a one piece spool. Just the 9/0.
I had a reel just like that, but I swapped the side plates to bearing plates and put in a one piece aluminum spool to replace the three piece it had.
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteLike you said Mike,
I too have never seen a bushing 12/0 with a one piece spool. Just the 9/0.
I had a reel just like that, but I swapped the side plates to bearing plates and put in a one piece aluminum spool to replace the three piece it had.

Now this is getting serious. Is this going to be a ""One Off"" reel?? Basically, the reel is not the rarity here, it is the spool.............. The worm turns.

1badf350

Mike as soon as you call it "one off" ten more will be posted.
-Chris

1badf350

At the fishing flea market i was at yesterday i found another 50s era 12/0 with sleeve bearings. It was full of modern braid. Price was right so i took it home. Stripped the old line of and found.....three piece spool with part number LOL.

-Chris

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike as soon as you call it "one off" ten more will be posted.

I know. that has happened to me about a thousand times. Still, I do not see any others. All I am hearing is Crickets.....................

QuoteAt the fishing flea market i was at yesterday i found another 50s era 12/0 with sleeve bearings. It was full of modern braid. Price was right so i took it home. Stripped the old line of and found.....three piece spool with part number LOL.

That is the way they are supposed to be. Nice reel.

Army_of_One

Seeing the line post off to one side makes me think it was the start of one piece spools. Keith has a 12/0 with shoulders like the aluminum spools that seemed to be Penn testing before full production. This could be the case with this particular reel.  ???
Another day in Paradise!

Ron Jones

I can't speak to the rarity, but I know that I have seen Penn bearing reels with bent shafts on the handle side because the spool shaft is so long. I have also seen three piece spools that parted under mono load (as haas everyone.) So that means that this has got to be one tough 12/0! If it is in fact a one off transition piece, it maybe shoudn't be fished; but, it has to be hell for strong if you wated to go find a broadbill to Duke it out with!

Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Sharkb8

Just got this 12/0 last week look the same as yours?different handle but the rest look similar. I have also swapped Some parts with a broken 10/0 to clean it up .Some of the parts are none number some are numbered. I was wondering what year this reel might be .
Thanks Kim