How to remove the residue after removing a rod guide

Started by Reel Beaker, March 21, 2019, 01:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

Hi,

As mentioned in another post, i was going to try to replace a rod guide as an experiment. I followed the video below on how to remove the rod guide. I did not used any heat on my rod just like in the video.

After removing the guide following the instructions above, my rod now looks like this:
https://imgur.com/0Rsfp4G

As you see, it looks a little messy. I am having difficulty removing the remaining residue stuff on the rod. The epoxy, remaining thread seem pretty stuck to the rod blank. Does anyone has any tips/advice on how to remove the remaining stuff off the rod?

Swami805

Warm it up with a heat gun/hair dryer and carefully scrape the rest off with a razor blade. As long as it's relatively smooth you don't need to sand it since you'll be wrapping over it anyway. Heat makes it soft and much easier to get off so you're less likely to gack the blank with the razor.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Reel Beaker

Quote from: Swami805 on March 21, 2019, 01:27:37 PM
Warm it up with a heat gun/hair dryer and carefully scrape the rest off with a razor blade. As long as it's relatively smooth you don't need to sand it since you'll be wrapping over it anyway. Heat makes it soft and much easier to get off so you're less likely to gack the blank with the razor.

A hair dryer will do?

Swami805

Yes, it will take a bit longer. Get it warm enough is it's soft

philaroman

as a complete novice, I was told to use disposable plastic knives for scraping...  less effective than a razor blade, but won't damage the blank if you slip

thorhammer

mask the area around the residue to protect from a slip. heat helps as the Swami says....razor blade works but i prefer a sharp knife for the handle and additional leverage, and your fingers are less likely to slip into the blade under pressure. my 0.02 but I've done hundreds of guides like this so it works for me.

John

Fishy247

Whatever you do use, make sure that you heat up the epoxy and residue. I usually use a razor blade to cut the thread, then try to scrape off any residue with my thumbnail. This usually works pretty good for me. If there's a lumpy mess where the guide was, I'll just sand it down a bit so that the guide will sit flat on the blank where it needs to be.

steelfish

Quote from: Reel Beaker on March 21, 2019, 01:02:24 PM
Hi,

As mentioned in another post, i was going to try to replace a rod guide as an experiment. I followed the video below on how to remove the rod guide. I did not used any heat on my rod just like in the video.

you will find many different results when taking out guides from rods, sometimes the result is a clean area just like the video, sometimes there are some residues from the epoxy that you can clean up with some heat and your ginger nail, sometimes you need heat and a razorblade and sometimes you dont know what kind of epoxy it was used because seems that there is no way to have a clean area, so you have to use the razor blade with care, with heat and sand paper, just dont go overboard trying to get a smooth like glass surface to install the new guide, as long as the guide sit straigth on the blank is good enough, just to make it worst depending on the guide type, model and size you will or wont need a smooth surface on the blank....  ;D  easy peasy, right?  :P ::)
The Baja Guy

droppedit

I've always used a heat gun or an alcohol torch. Before applying any heat be sure it is not a thin walled blank or if the guide you are cutting off / smoothing out isn't too close to the tip. I've done it in the past, gotten the blank too hot and ruined it. The glass or graphite will get very soft if too hot so your sort of doing what they did when they made the blank but without the mandrel inside. 9 times out of 10 there is no problem.

Hope this helps,

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Midway Tommy

I heat it with a hair dryer and then shave the high spots with an X-acto knife. After I get the humps off I position the blade perpendicular and scrape it down close without gouging the blank. While it isn't necessary, I finish it off with fine sandpaper the same width as the epoxy area and spin the blank to smooth the area out. That process works good for me and you can't even tell a repair has taken place, but then I only do it on graphite blanks. None of my older fiberglass blanks have epoxy finish on them. I only use one part varnish on vintage fiberglass rods. I try to keep them as original as possible.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Jeri

We try to avoid using anything as brutal as a heat gun, as there is always the chance of compromising the integrity of the blank. Use a hair dryer - much less aggressive heat, and the back of a craft knife - absolutely no change of damaging the blank. Takes time, but worth the effort.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Jeri on March 22, 2019, 08:54:18 AM
We try to avoid using anything as brutal as a heat gun, as there is always the chance of compromising the integrity of the blank. Use a hair dryer - much less aggressive heat, and the back of a craft knife - absolutely no change of damaging the blank. Takes time, but worth the effort.
At times you can't blame the tool, but how you use it...but I see your point. :)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

All you need is a good scraper.  Old finish will tend to come off in flakes with a scraper.  With sandpaper you cannot tell where the finish ends and the rod blank begins.  If you heat it the finish will come off as a sticky gum.
-steve

Reel Beaker

So i managed to get off most of when i wanted from the guide. But i have trouble wrapping the guide on the rod blank. I am trying to tie a large 2-feet guide on the blank.

From videos i have watched, mainly these:

I heard you need to "dress the guide" How much do i need to file off the guide foot? Do rod thread come in different sizes? I just grabbed one off a shelf from a tackle store. I tried to tie the guide before filing the guide but was unable to cover parts of the guide foot. I removed the guide and started to file the guide foot. Is this why i need to "dress the guide"?  

Followed this video for basic whipping of the rod guide. Unfortunately, my first loop is always loose. Why? Is it possible to get a tight first loop if there is no knot holding the thread? I am not using any rod stands during whipping as this is my first time replacing a guide.

Swami805

File the guide foot down to make a smooth transition from the blank to the guide, might need to bend the foot a little too so the tip of the foot is flush so the thread can climb up it. Not sure on your 2nd question but guessing you're having a hard time starting the wrap? You can cut "V's" in a cardboard box for a makeshift rod stand, that might help.